British Lung Foundation
33,781 members41,232 posts

Persistent cough

I have had a cough for a month now. I have been back and forth to the doctors who fobbed me off with a virus. But they have took samples and there is no bug, virus or infection in the mucus I am constantly coughing up. I am not a smoker so it’s not a smokers cough. I have asked for chest X-rays and a scan but they won’t refer me. They just say it’s a cough. I have no other symptoms except the odd sharp chest pains but they seem more in my ribs than lungs. Getting worried

4 Replies
oldestnewest

Have you tried taking some Gaviscon after meals in case it's a reflux cough. A reflux cough is persistent very dry and usually worse at night. Worth a try for a week, see if it helps.

3 likes

Thanks for your comment but it’s def not that because it’s not a dry cough. I am coughing up mucus from my chest as I can feel it there but docs say my chest sounds clear

1 like

Has something changed in your environment, to give you an exacerbation, like more smoke, or dust, or a different cleaning solution? I went to a Patient Participation Group meeting in a GP surgery recently, and was left struggling to breath and coughing because of the cleaner that had been wiped over the table and not washed off.

4 likes

Hello Lulufo. Have you been diagnosed with any lung condition?

1 like

You may also like...