Viral infection and heart disease - British Heart Fou...

British Heart Foundation
15,158 members9,864 posts

Viral infection and heart disease

Green_Olive
Green_Olive
14 Replies

Hi all - I have had a recent diagnosis of heart disease (from genetic FH), and have an appointment in a month to get a stent fitted.

Two weeks ago I caught a bad cold, started with sore throat, lost my voice and been very chesty with it. Basically I have been finding it really difficult to shift... Definitely on the mend but really slow progress.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Does heart disease lower our immunity or slow down the healing process?

Anyone got any tips to aid recovery?

I have two small kids and so there are lots of bugs from nursery & school around so wondering if I should be extra careful. Also now pretty frustrated as just want my energy to return!

Thanks

14 Replies
oldestnewest
Chappychap

I'm not qualified to answer your question. I don't THINK people with heart disease are any more or less liable to infection. However, I suspect the implications of infection can be more serious, which is why many GP's recommend their heart patients have an annual flu vaccine and are inoculated against pneumonia.

3 likes
Green_Olive

Thanks for reply - yes thought I'd look into flu vaccination at GPs as a precaution.

Londinium

I saw an Immunologist this week who confirmed that some people experience adverse reactions from the pneumonia vaccine and the flu vaccine. I declined the pneumonia vaccine, and I always decline the flu vaccine. Instead, I focus on maintaining optimal Vit D3 all year round, and I always take a Vit C supplement with each meal.

But each person must decide for themselves.

2 likes
MichaelJH
MichaelJHHeart Star
in reply to Londinium

After three adverse reactions (i.e. quite unwell afterwards) I decline the flu vaccine. I have been told it was coincidence but do not believe them!

2 likes
Londinium
Londinium
in reply to MichaelJH

Hi Michael, the father of an acquaintance fell ill on the same day of each flu vaccine and remained ill, so she begged him not to have it again. But he was again coerced by the GP or GP practice, and so he went through with it again... But this time, he didn't just fall ill on that same day. He died. On that same day.

MichaelJH
MichaelJHHeart Star
in reply to Londinium

My late mother had refused them continually but had one virtually forced on her when the ravages of Parkinsons meant she had to go into a home. A few days later she developed a serious infection and after a three week battle passed away. Apparently another coincidence!

2 likes
Londinium
Londinium
in reply to MichaelJH

I had a tetanus vaccine years ago and was bedridden for days afterwards.

MichaelJH
MichaelJHHeart Star
in reply to Londinium

We must be genetically linked. I had a tetanus years ago and was quite unwell for two days. Hello bruv!

1 like
Londinium

I don't have, and am not due to have, stents. However, with regard myself, I maintain optimal levels of Vit D3 (all year round), and I take a Vit C supplement with each meal (not orange juice).

grassrootshealth.net/wp-con...

1 like
Green_Olive

I will look into that thank you

1 like
Milkfairy
MilkfairyHeart Star
in reply to Green_Olive

nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinati...

Dame Prof Sally Davies the Cheif Medical Officer has suggested that if a healthcare worker has decided not to have a flu vaccine that they should inform the patients they care for.

1 like
Janma123

I don’t want to alarm you but can I suggest that you get checked by your doctor. My husband had what appeared to be a sore throat and a chest infection that he couldn’t shake off. He would feel better for a day or two and then it came back. Turned out it was actually his heart causing the problem! We eventually went to the doctors and he was admitted to hospital. I read a few days later that it can be an early warning of the heart causing problems!

Best wishes.

2 likes
Green_Olive

Thanks for the message - I am definitely on the mend but will definitely head back to GP if it returns!

1 like
12345pink

I had a heart attack last June a bit of a shock as I’d always been to the gym walked 40 mins and had a healthy diet but my dad and my youngest brother had heart attacks so was told it’s in the family anyway I was told I should have the flu injection nothing said about the pneauminia injection. I said I didn’t want the flu injection but was told you’ll be ill with flu if you don’t have it. So went and had it I’d only ever had the flu jab and said never again but I went ahead and had the flu jab and I was pleased I had.

You can try lemon and ginger tea bags which are very good. That’s what I have regular especially in winter when there’s a lot of colds and flu around. Good luck.

1 like

You may also like...