Bradycardia : Hi, My heart rate... - British Heart Fou...

British Heart Foundation

21,444 members14,535 posts




My heart rate usually runs in the 40's but can be often in the 30's - as recorded in hospital and via machines.

I am a 37 year old Mum and have had suffered from episodes for years, ranging from needing atropine to boost me after a procedure, to excessive yawning, greyness, sweating and hairs standing up on my arms. Family say I can so pale I look grey. It has taken the last two years to see a cardiologist and have had various recoding devices, the last for 28 days. I usually fill them up within four days but the last one we are awaiting results for.

My question is what to do. I am trying to track down a specialist in bradycardia. Some days I have energy and others, like today I can't do anything. It is affecting my work and family life. I did a hard cardio class for an hour on Tuesday (and I have suffered with yawning and lack of energy since). It also seems to affect my digestion system.

My questions are:

1) Are there any UK based specialists in bradycardia?

2) Do others have a link with tummy problems/fullness/distention/bloating (I have had seven hernias operated on in five years)

3) How do you cope with the extreme tiredness. I feel useless and there is so much I want to achieve in my life! It affects work, money and family.

4) One cardiologist said he would put off giving me a pacemaker because of my age - I really don't know what to do and feel like people think the tiredness is in my head!!! Sometimes I can't function and then it feels glorious to have energy again.

3 Replies
Julie_BHFBHF Nurse

Hi there,

I read your post and would like to respond.

I'm really sorry you're feeling like this (the extreme tiredeness and low heart rate). I would suggest calling your cardiologist to explain that your symptoms are not getting better (and possibly getting worse?).

All cardiologists deal with bradycardia on a regular basis but if you need a pacemaker (despite your age) it would normally be done by an 'EP Cardiologist' - an expert in Electrophysiology. You could also chat this through with your GP as he/she would certainly have a list of all EP cardiologists in your region.

Please do call us for a chat if you'd like to speak to a cardiac nurse for more information/support.

Wishing you all the best,


cbelle5 in reply to Julie_BHF

Thanks Julie. Much appreciated x


I’m sorry to hear about your problem since my husband is suffering exactly same symptoms and HR as yours. I feel the pain and confusion. :(

It’s been 6 months since your last post just wondering how you are doing and if you have come to any conclusion over this? Please let me know we are so desperate and scared :( our life is falling apart and no one knows where the problem is :(

You may also like...