British Heart Foundation

Chest Pains Won't Go Away!

I wrote a post a few days ago, after a heart episode (severe pains that were very symptomatic of a heart attack, followed by angina type pains) that is apparently 'musculoskeletal' in nature. Yea right, cos muscles heal in 36 hours as we all know.

Since leaving hospital, I'm continuously having periods of light headedness and palpitations. These could be anxiety I guess but as I don't feel the usual symptoms of anxiety, I'm not so sure.

Also, I've had this strange, stitch like pain, high up in my chest that comes and goes. Exertion definitely makes the pain increase. Today it became worse though, after going to a football match.

Has anyone else had this kind of thing?

Cheers.

10 Replies
oldestnewest

I had a more, or less, constant pain in the sternum, as if someone was poking me, for over six months. Reported this to every Dr. I saw, and presented twice to A&E . Requested my BP meds changed because of a persistent cough (a known side effect) and my chest pain vanished!

I've had no cough. No cold. No illness of any kind. Just this loan since the 'heart episode and the bouts of light headedness/feeling I'm about to black out.

I'm now back in A & E

Hi @Burnsy1973. Given the symptoms you descibe in your post it sounds to me that A&E is the best place for you to be. Don't be fobbed off. You clearly don't think your pain is musculoskeletol and I am a great believer in listening to your gut. I am not medically qualified but we are always told to get to hospital if we have chest pain.....or black out. I hope you get some answers and get sorted. Good luck.

1 like

Dry ticklish cough (not cold, although a chest infection exasperated my symptoms) is a well known, and listed side effect from both Ramiprill (on then) and Losartin (on now). Chest pain is not apparently known, or listed. However periods of lightheadedness could be related to other blood pressure issues that need to be checked out. I also had a couple of BP incidents, not apparently related to chest pain, but time has appeared to settle these

Based purely on my own experience, I’m going to suggest that if the heart doctors you saw first time jaround suggested musculoskeletal then that is probably what it is. It does not mean a muscle strain necessarily. I had severe chest pain that was down to an issue in my neck. It gave same symptoms as angina and made it very hard to breathe. If I stopped what I was doing (it came on playing golf) for about 10 minutes, it went away and it might not return for days. Physio sorted it for many years before I needed cervical disc surgery about 3 years ago. So, not all severe chest pain is cardiac. It just might really be musculoskeletal .

1 like

I had a similar experience with tiredness and palpitations followed by severe pain and then shooting pains in my back, ribs, into my armpits. A&E did a CT scan for kidney stones then concluded it was probably muscular and sent me off with 5 days of anti inflammatories. After seeing my GP he believes it could be a viral inflammation of the heart. It is still under investigation with ECG showing irregular heart rate. Diagnosis seems to be a case of ruling everything else out first so it is a slow process. Might be worth considering myocarditis, pericarditis and endocarditis. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

Thanks people.

It turns out that I now have pleuricy in my left side. I say 'now' because I'm still not convinced that my heart attack/angina symptoms weren't just that and something they may have missed.

David.

As regards football, it was on the BBC News this morning that watching football can cause heart attacks. Strangely, the risk increases more if your team win.

WBA supporters are safe then 😁

1 like

I'm a Leeds fan. I'm safe.

You may also like...