British Heart Foundation
4,703 members3,020 posts

Chest pain 8 weeks post op

Chest pain post aortic valve replacement

I am eight weeks post valve replacement. I have had pain in my back just below my scapula for a few weeks. For the past few days I also have it in my left side radiating to my underarm.

It is worse if I take a deep breath. It does come and go and is worse in the evening when I am sitting

Also keeps me awake.

I am doing cardiac rehab should I stop

10 Replies
oldestnewest

Hi

I assume that cardiac rehab is with the nurses and not on your own. If it’s with the nurses, talk to them and get their advice before stopping - I think you can ring them . If you are doing this on your own, I think a trip to the GP might be in order. As with everyone, if it gets worse dial 999.

It is with the nurses. I know I have a fractured rib. I had pain last week after rowing machine and I feel this is may be associated with the movements on this. I will ring them later today. It is impossible to get a GP appointment.

Should you be on a rowing machine with a fractured rib?

Errr. I think that’s be a big NO!

2 likes

Hi Nanny, if you haven't already tell the rehab team about the rib. You should not be on a rowing machine with it as you'll be using all the muscles around it. Keep to a bike, treadmill and walking, chest and stomach exercises are banned.

Hope you get better soon

Mark

2 likes

I did tell them I had a fractured rib confirmed on x-ray but they still put me on the rower.

I had back pain but mine was an infection but I walked about a lot the day I got home

Had to give in and visit gp. Crackly lungs. Tells me it is pleurisy. Antibiotics and check temperature daily.

Make sure it is completely clear after you’ve finished your antibiotics, my colleague had pleurisy and she’s on her third lot of antibiotics now.

Take care of yourself.

Wendy

It sounds a bit like how I was feeling when they diagnosed my pulmonary embolism in December. Breathing made the pain worse. I would try to get in touch with your consultant. I really hope you start to feel better soon xx

You may also like...