British Heart Foundation
4,237 members • 2,752 posts

6 weeks post AVR update

Hello all 😊

Hope everyone has had an enjoyable Christmas and New year?

Well, 6 weeks on and I'm feeling really well! I'm walking 90 minutes a day most days without discomfort and even had a little midnight jig around the lounge for New Year! My mood also seems a lot better which has been the most helpful part of recovery I think.

The only problem I have had is getting the warfarin level to stay above 2. It's gone under again today so I have to self inject fragmin. Today I also had a cardiac rehab appt and the lady was pleased with me - I'm doing all the right things and have no extra risk factors. I was offered a weekly exercise class but as I'm back to work soon I can't do this so she discharged me!

I do hope everyone else is recovering well.

Best wishes

Claire x

10 Replies
oldest • newest

Great news Claire well done you happy New year to you too

1 like

Hi Claire

Happy new year to you too.

Really pleased to hear that your recovery is going so well. You're doing well with your exercise, I haven't done as much walking as I should because I still get very breathless which is made worse if it's cold. Weird thing is I can go up the stairs several times during the day without any problem, then another time I get really breathless, very frustrating.

I have my follow up appointment at hospital next week and hope to get back to work by the end of the month.

Best wishes.

Wendy x

1 like

Luckily I live right on the south coast and we rarely get really cold weather. Hope you improve soon. X

1 like

Hi Claire, I too had an AVR and have endured nine years of Warfarin level problems - some people’s level never stabilises and I am one if them. Mine can go from 2 to 4.9 in a matter of a week or so and it means I have to have INR blood tests most weeks or fortnightly. My range should be between 2.5 - 3 but very rarely stays there so my dosage of Warfarin is constantly changing. Got used to it now!

1 like

My range is between 2 and 3. It shot up above 3 in hospital after one bigger dose but won't stay above 2 now! I guess I'll have to get used to it too! Thank you for your reply. X

Brilliant Claire, you're a very good example to us all. Very positive attitude. I'm 6 weeks post op too. I walked 2 miles yesterday with no trouble, but I don't feel so well today. Perhaps I did too much. My chest feels sore especially if I take a deep breath. I've got a cardio rehab appointment next week, so fingers crossed all is well. Best wishes for the future. Love Margaret xx

2 likes

Thank you Margaret. When I walk, I do walk fairly slowly - only have little legs anyway! In the past few days I've come down with a minor cold (well so far it's minor) and this has made the walking a little more difficult and I'm coughing a bit but this has not caused me any problems yet.

Good luck for your appointment next week. I have my follow up with the surgeon on fifteenth and them back to work if all well.

Claire xx

I think I overdid it yesterday. 2 miles and 8,000 steps on the fit bit. I'm taking it steady today. I hope your cold soon passes. Take care. Love Margaret X

Claire

Now that's the kind of thing I want to be reading,so cheers to your recovery and keep up the good work and a full recovery.

I am familiar with the warfarin

But Fragmin is a total new one to Me what's the purpose of it if you please don't mind me asking.

Fragmin is an anti coagulant, like warfarin. I think it covers me whilst INR is too low. The injections are ok and I can quite easily inject myself (much to the horror of my kids!)

Hopefully INR will be in target range by my next test 😊

Best wishes

Claire

You may also like...