Struggle is real

I am 24 and am recently trying to live healthier for my sake and those of my loved ones. It's tough though! Gym is a 21 minute walk and when I don't go to the gym, I try and do pilates at home. Been trying to eat healthier too and it's not easy when my mom orders out a lot and when we go to fast food places-there isn't really any "healthy" options unless you want like veggies in a bun. Any suggestions?

10 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Pardon me but but your folks are on the wrong path! It is very good, however, that you are conscious about your health. Whole grain cereals, fruits and vegetables with some nuts would be great. Outside, you can take fruit juices but without added sugar. Iii the best to you!

• Without added sugar, fruit juices are still a large dose of sugar, including fructose.

• Low GI/GL fruit juices are not bad and definitely better than the Coke.

• If your glycogen stores are full, it doesn't matter whether the fructose comes from sucrose, high fructose corn syrup or fruit juice; fructose sticks to red blood cells seven times as much as glucose, the resulting vldl and visceral fats causing fatty liver, central adiposity, and insulin resistance.

• I beg to disagree!

• You don't have to beg to me navinsinha. Everything Dr Robert Lustig claims is backed up by solid science, some of which he conducted himself!

• You are doing well to be taking control of your own health at your young age; a lot of people wait until their knees are worn out and their arteries clogged before they even think about healthy eating!

Try and eat a wide variety of food - watch portion sizes, fill up on water, tea, coffee, fruit teas. Snack on nuts and dried fruit, rice-cakes, home-made soup (throw left over veg in a blender with some chicken stock, worcester sauce, a little cream and blitz).

Start the day with a couple of poached eggs or beans on toast, porridge or fruit and cereal which will see you through til lunchtime. Make up some lunch boxes of salad or pasta with a tomato based dressing, tiny bit of pesto for flavour perhaps. Eat some fruit everyday for vitamins and eat a dinner like a stir-fry with chicken, veg and sauce or bake a piece of salmon with breadcrumbs and grated cheese on it with lots of veg.

If you go to fast food places, look at having a wrap and donate the chips to someone else. Fill up on coffee and don't bother with the ice-cream - too much sugar! They are beginning to offer salad boxes and lighter options in some establishments fortunately.

Lastly - google some interesting recipes (look at the BBC Recipes) and ask your Mum if you can do dinner? She might love a break and it is an excellent way to improve family relations by eating together.

• Another thing to add to thr struggle; the only bra I used for the gym the wire snapped inhalf. I am unemployed and can't afford a sports bra...

• Use the facilities near at hand; run up the stairs, dig the garden, borrow a dog for walking, have you a bike? Cycling is an excellent calorie burner and the view is better outside of the gym! Look on Ebay for bargains...sports bra or bike perhaps? It is more about a willingness to get moving than what equipment you have...all the best!