Ataxia UK

Ataxia Type 2 and employment

Hello group, my names William and i have EA2. I'm 28 years old and have been working all my adult life.

The last year i have seen the number of attacks go up. i used to maybe get four or five attacks in a year, sometimes less. Been putting it down to stress. but now my employer wants to know more. Does anyone else hold down a job who has EA? And is there any help for us?

4 Replies

Hi William

I have an ataxia of unknown cause. I am 38. I have recently taken early retirement on medical grounds. My first 'port of call' was my neurologist to discuss my work with him (I knew I was really struggling at work) and to see if there was anything he could suggest that would make my life easier and he referred me to a neurorehabilitationist who was very helpful. I also self-referred to Occupational Health who were also very helpful and saw my GP regularly throughout the whole process. Although I ended up taking early retirement I know I sought all the correct advice before doing so.

My advice would be speak to your neurologist first if possible and talk things through with him/her before speaking to your employer.

Best Wishes



Thanks Harriet. I am concerned because I have a mortgage. I worry that I might lose my job over it. Another worry is I'm married, and we are starting for a family. 50% chance I can pass on the defective gene, she's not worried about it , but I am.

Thanks again Harriet. I will book in to see a neurologist.


Dear William, Although I do not have EA2, I have Sporadic Cerebellar Ataxia (unknown cause/symptoms 24/7). I'm much older then you (61), and medically retired nine years ago (after working as a social worker for 28 years) due to my ataxia symptoms progressing. I do understand your concerns with your employer and starting a family, as well as obligations (mortgage). As HarryB said, talk to your neurologist first. My best to you! I hope everything works out!..., ;o)


Hi William, Neurosupport, although based in Liverpool offers employment advice and support and will advise you on the approach you should take with your employer.

You might also find it helpful to join a trade union as they would both offer advice and should take up your case you are subject to any discrimination under the Equalities Act. Good luck Sue


You may also like...