Symbicort and Salbutamol Nebuliser - HELP!

Hello

I'm new to this forum but not to asthma. I'm 37 and have had asthma since my teens but in the last 8 years or so, things have gone down hill. I've been in hospital with pneumonia a couple of times and get regular chest infections during the winter months.

Up till a month ago I was on seretide, vetolin and singulair, with regular courses of prednisolone and antibiotics in the winter. At the advice of my GP over Christmas (though my consultant was not pleased) I now have a nebuliser. However, for the last 4 weeks I have now been moved onto the Symbicort smart plan. Does anyone know if it is okay to use salbutamol nebs when on the Symbicort smart plan?

Many thanks!

4 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hello and welcome to the forum!

I believe it should be ok but I would check with your GP/consultant a plan for you.

I was on Symbicort SMART 3 years ago and when I had my flare up I was using both Symbicort and ventolin through a spacer, but I ensured I had maxed out on Symbicort first and used ventolin second, so that the SMART regime still had a chance to work.

Now I am on the higher dose Symbicort (400/12) 3 puffs twice a day and use a nebuliser up to 4 times a day.

I hope this helps.

• I would also recommend double-checking with your GP or consultant, but I've definitely been on both simultaneously, if that's of any help.

• I use symbicort 200/6 two puffs twice a day and up to four extra if needed . I also use a ventolin inhaler as required .

I have found that 2 puffs of ventolin followed by 1 puff of symbicort gives me the best relief. My gp and

my asthma nurse said that it was ok to do this .

• That's really helpful - thank you for taking the time to reply. :)

You may also like...