Nebulized steroids

I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on nebulized steroids. I have flixotide 2mg twice a day through my neb. When I first started on flixotide nebs I was given a Ventstream nebulizer chamber with a filter attached to it by the hospital. It needed replacing but my GP just tried to give me a normal nebulizer with mask. I told them it needed to be a mouthpiece nebulizer as I cant let the medicine get on my face so they gave me a normal nebulizer with mouthpiece. They didnt seem to know about the filters etc (or about using a mouthpiece) Is it important that it has a filter on it or can I just use a normal neb atttachment with mouthpiece???

I realize that this question will only make sense to a few of you out there!!!!

It's just that the whole steroid neb thing seems a bit confused when talking to docs at both GPs and hospital.

8 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I use Pulmicort 1mg nebs twice a day and use them with my Omron MicroAir (little diddy neb) with a mouthpiece. I have had to buy the mains attachment for it though as found it tended to gobble up batteries with the steroid nebs. Please people correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think this has a filter and when I was in hospital I was given my steroid nebs through a normal neb without a filter so don't think it's a problem. Hope this is of some help !

• I also neb pulmicort and do not use a filter just a mouthpiece and then wash everyting afterwards including my mouth! in costa lucky to get it washed out at all never mind filters!

Den

• Hi Karly,

The only thing that does need a filter are nebbed antibiotics.

An ordinary neb and mouthpiece should be OK.

Have you tried the company that makes your neb? (can't remember which one you have compressor wise??)

I buy my neb bits every year from Profile / Respironics for my Freeway freedom and they do Mouthpieces as that is what I get - I nab the masks from the hospital!

Hope this answers your queries!

Take care

Kate

XXX

• Hi

I too nebulise Flixotide 2mg twice a day and use an Omron Microair. I do, like Frenchfi find that they gobble up the battery power and take a long time but I use the mask or the mouthpiece and again don't think it has a filter but it seems to work OK. I do find you need to wash it out a lot as some of the powder tends to get left behind but have only had my Omron for a short amount of time anyway and am meticulous about washing it out (I know I'm sad!!).

Hope this helps.

Foxy xx

• Thanks for the info. Yes, it does clog my neb chambers up quickly. I get them from my GP and they are intersurgical ones I think with mouthpieces. I do have an Omron MicroAir but only neb my steroids through this when I'm away from home. I usually use my compresser neb from the hospital.

I find that my steroids take ages to neb and I get so bored!!!! Is this because it's so thick???? My salbutamol and combivent dont take anyway near as long.

Thanks for the advice

• It is sooo boring I agree its a suspension I think rather than a solution so takes ages try to watch TV while I do it or something

Den

• The dose of my flixotide accuhaler is noe equivalent to a neb apparently they are doing it this way more and more for those of us with nebs that cant handle steroids!

Sorry just sticking my hossie addled O2 deprived somments!

• Hi

I used to neb pulmicort but then got changed to ciclesonide inh which workes better. My lungs and body don't like steroids!

Truly

You may also like...