I thought I would share a few things that have made me feel better during my recovery in case they work for others.
1. Wild swimming- yep something about jumping into freezing water makes me feel better. I feel so connected to my body after and it clears my head. I go to rivers, lakes and in the sea....obviously only if it’s safe to do so. Also just swimming in general, especially laying on my back floating, maybe makes me look a bit wierd floating in the pool but one other thing I have gained from PPP apart from a love of freezing water is I don’t give a s**t what people think!
2. Exercise: running, yoga....anything that takes me out of myself. I never really exercised before but knowing it makes me feel better is a great incentive.
3. Writing down how I am feeling. Looking back at stuff I wrote in the months straight after PPP helps me focus on how far I have come. Plus it helps me process my feelings. I am finding sharing on here a great help too.
4. Remembering how rude I was during my psychosis and laughing in a slightly dark manner. Like telling the nurses I wouldn’t eat the hospital food because it was S**t! Remembering with fondness some of the people I met on the general psych ward and laughing at their lack of giving a s**t. For example, the woman who told my dad to f**k off because he called her darling, poor dad!
5. Singing to my favourite songs: Graceland by Paul Simon, A change is gonna come by Sam Cooke, stronger by daft punk. I have an eclectic music taste!
6. Last but not least, spending time with my 2 kids.
What things have, or do you do to make you feel better?