Quetiapine in pregnancy

Did this cause any problems for the baby?

8 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi Pumpkins,

I am not medical in any way, I had PP after the birth of my first son and have just been discharged from the peri natal team. At our discharge meeting a second pregnancy was discussed, we are unsure if we will have another baby, but it was discussed that I could take Quetiapine through my next pregnancy to avoid another episode of PP. I was also offered to start medication as soon as the baby would be born if I preferred. We have been advised to ask for a referral to peri natal for a pre conception planning meeting should we decide to try for another baby/ or find out we are pregnant again. We can contact peri natal or your GP will be able to refer you. I hope this helps x

• Breast feeding and queitiapine did anyone breast feed?

• Hi Pumpkins I replied to a previous post of yours and at the same meeting I was told that it would be possible to breastfeed whilst taking Quetiepine x

• Yes, breastfeeding still on quetiapine ( I tandem feed my 18 months and almost 3yo girls). Absolutely no issues. Was difficult to get up for night feeds, but would have been worse bottle feeding.

• how much were you taking?

• I was taking 600mg XR at my most medicated. Down to 250mg XR currently.

• You breast fed on 600mgs? did it not make baby sleepy

• No, it didn't seem to. As I was in a mother baby unit for a number of weeks staff were watching for it but it never happened. Her weight gain was always good also.

You may also like...