Can I recieve benefits

Hello. I suffered with PP 2 years ago. Since then it's left me very anxious, depressed and have OCD tendencies. This is managed by medication but I struggle to work because of the way I feel. I've had to leave my job and now on one income (my husband). But we are struggling financially. I have private medical bills to pay and it's hard! Is there any benefits I could be claiming?

11 Replies

  • Hello Hayleynevin

    I'm really sorry to hear that you are having to cope with so many after effects of your PP two years ago. It must be such a struggle, especially having to leave your job although I think it's a good decision to put your health first.

    I don't have OCD tendencies but do know how debilitating anxiety and depression can be. I'm not sure if I mentioned in your previous posts that I had PP many years ago and suffered both anxiety and depression. I wonder if CBT (Cognitive Behaviour Therapy) would be beneficial for you, just talking to a therapist to get all your worries out of your head and give you coping strategies? Such therapy has been helpful to some mums here.

    I think Citizens' Advice Bureau might be able to link you to any benefits you might be able to claim. There is also the Mind infoline on benefits which might help on 0300 123 3393 or text 86463.

    This must be a very stressful time for you and your family. Take good care of yourself .... we are all here to listen and help if we can.

  • Hello! Thank you so much for your reply. It is just horrible.... It took a while to get over, then I returned to work a year later (after maternity) and it was ok but then my medication was swapped and sent me into a spiral of depression and anxiety. I just couldn't cope with the idea of going to work. I'd get myself so worked up in to a panic attack. I've had to lie to work and make up excuses as to why I couldn't go to work. When I did get there I would be in a total different zone. People would talk to me and it just wouldn't go in! If feel so anxious. When I had PP I would hallucinate and see insects everywhere. I would see worms on my children. So my fear now days are insects, worms especially. When I was at my low and had to give up work my children actually got worms from pre school/school. As you can imagine sent me off the rails. I had the crisis team out, two psychiatrists . I've been put back on all the medication that I was on 2 years ago and have to say, feeling ok but just don't want to go back 'there' again so lost all confidence in working and just don't want to go backwards again. But financially we are struggling and that adds stress. I had CBT 2 yrs ago and learnt a lot from that to deal with the OCD and managed to incorporate some of that recently to help. But I always feel like I'm living life on the 'edge' if that makes sense. I will definately try the links you sent me. Thank you. And thank you for listening xxx

  • Hello Hayley

    Thanks for taking time to reply. Your experience sounds awful and the hallucinations are all very real and frightening at the time aren't they? Battling OCD as well must be very challenging so it's good that CBT helped a few years ago.

    Living life on the 'edge' definitely makes sense as during the time of my recovery I was always anxious to stay well and in my comfort zone. As my recovery took so long I was unable to return to my job. It took me years to feel confident about returning to work. I did temporary work for a while to ease myself back into the workplace environment. This helped me as I was able to choose my hours and days I worked before I found permanent employment.

    Do you think more counselling would be helpful via your G.P? Also I think mindfulness meditation can be a good way to relieve anxiety so perhaps you could google it and see what you think?

    Take care and please drop in here again if we can help. xxx

  • Hello, sorry to hear you are struggling..yes you can is the answer..if you are in the UK you can apply for personalindependence payment. You have to give evidence of your condit ions but it's worth a try. Good luck!

  • Oh really. Is that PIP? I've been reading a bit on that. I thought that was more if you are disabled x

  • Yes that's pip. I've just been awarded it. I have ptsd, ocd, bipolar disorder and ? Schizoaffective disorder. Im also recovering from post partum psychosis. They had to contact my psychiatrist and nurses etc. They obviously thought it would help me as I've had my award through this morning.

  • Hi Hayleynevin,

    I am sorry to hear you are having a hard time at the moment. It took me a couple of years to get back to work after being diagnosed with PP in 2015 and I still only work part time, so I understand how hard this can be, both mentally and in terms of finances.

    It may have changed since I was ill, but I recieved employment support allowance from the government. You have to go through a work capacity assessment and then they assess whether you are eligble for it. The link is below. I tried for PIP too (on the recomendation of my care co-ordinator), but I wasn't 'ill'/'disabled' enough at the time, but this may be different for yourself.

    Anyway, take care, thinking of you,

    Sally xx

  • Hi! Thank you so so much for your reply! I tried ESA and they have confirmed that I'm probably entitled to it and completed the assessment form. Thank you so much! I don't know how much it would be tho. I'd it a standard amount? X

  • Hi Hayleynevin,

    That's great that you have tried and might be eligible. It is very case dependant, so it's not always a standard amount. It depends on household income and outgoings etc. I'd say anywhere between £200 and £500 a month, but as I said, very dependant on circumstances.

    Hope it goes ok,

    Sally xx

  • Thank you Sally for all your help xxxx

  • Hi Hayley,

    I am so pleased that you have been helped by some of the forum members.

    I have had quite a bit of experience with the Department for Work and Pension, but also their assessment procedures since 2010/2011.

    My disability living allowance had been changed to Personal Independence Payment.

    In my case, my care co-coordinator always filled in all necessary forms. Just in case, if you need further help, do not hesitate to ask.

    Kind wishes and good luck,


You may also like...