AF Association
14,321 members17,300 posts

Tooth extraction and blood tests

My dentist finally agreed to take the two infected teeth out on the condition that I stop Xarelto for two days prior. My appointment is 6.30 pm and my dilemma now is that I have blood tests early the following morning for the cardiologist. Does anyone know if the extractions so soon beforehand will impact in anyway on the blood test procedure/ results please?

10 Replies
oldestnewest

Hi. Its not the extraction, its the stopping the xarelto which might impact. And I would not stop the Xarelto without the Cardiologist say so. I had a similar problem and had to go thru my cardiologist / EP first.

Phil

1 like

Thanks Phil, already had the go ahead from cardio, but I have now changed the blood analysis appointment for a week later...

Seemed the sensible thing to do rather than stress about it.

2 likes

What are the tests for? There is no INR test so what else? I can't see why it would but ask you doctor to be sure.

The cardiologist requested them before my next appointment. They test you for anything and everything in Spain! If you ask for a cholesterol test, they don’t do that one specifically, they just include it in their ‘analitica’ as they call it 🙄

sorry to add to problems but you are supposed to have teeth out earlier in the day so that any bleeding( which I don't think you will have much) can be dealt with in good time

I also agree with the comments made about checking with your cardiologist before stopping AC as it is not always done now

Hopefully Rosy I will be ok... the last AC took was Saturday night, so that is almost 3 full days!

The hospital wrote a section in my discharge report stating that it would be acceptable to stop the xeralto 2 days before the treatment.

There is a chance after the extractions and the body has had chance to get cleaned up that your AF will reduce. Good Luck!

1 like

Thanks so much...wouldn’t that be fantastic?

I am on apixaban and just had 2 teeth removed at the local hospital,referred there by my dentist who was not happy to do the job. After talking to my cardio I stopped taking the meds the day before and apart from "normal" bleeding (as defined by the hospital dentist) after the extractions I was fine.

Good to know, thanks.

You may also like...