Tooth extraction and blood tests

My dentist finally agreed to take the two infected teeth out on the condition that I stop Xarelto for two days prior. My appointment is 6.30 pm and my dilemma now is that I have blood tests early the following morning for the cardiologist. Does anyone know if the extractions so soon beforehand will impact in anyway on the blood test procedure/ results please?

10 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi. Its not the extraction, its the stopping the xarelto which might impact. And I would not stop the Xarelto without the Cardiologist say so. I had a similar problem and had to go thru my cardiologist / EP first.

Phil

• Thanks Phil, already had the go ahead from cardio, but I have now changed the blood analysis appointment for a week later...

Seemed the sensible thing to do rather than stress about it.

• What are the tests for? There is no INR test so what else? I can't see why it would but ask you doctor to be sure.

• The cardiologist requested them before my next appointment. They test you for anything and everything in Spain! If you ask for a cholesterol test, they don’t do that one specifically, they just include it in their ‘analitica’ as they call it 🙄

• sorry to add to problems but you are supposed to have teeth out earlier in the day so that any bleeding( which I don't think you will have much) can be dealt with in good time

I also agree with the comments made about checking with your cardiologist before stopping AC as it is not always done now

• Hopefully Rosy I will be ok... the last AC took was Saturday night, so that is almost 3 full days!

The hospital wrote a section in my discharge report stating that it would be acceptable to stop the xeralto 2 days before the treatment.

• There is a chance after the extractions and the body has had chance to get cleaned up that your AF will reduce. Good Luck!

• Thanks so much...wouldn’t that be fantastic?

• I am on apixaban and just had 2 teeth removed at the local hospital,referred there by my dentist who was not happy to do the job. After talking to my cardio I stopped taking the meds the day before and apart from "normal" bleeding (as defined by the hospital dentist) after the extractions I was fine.

• Good to know, thanks.

You may also like...