Good morning all
Today was to be the day I was to have an ablation for Atrial Tachycardia.
As I have had a number of procedures before and I have in the past developed an allergic reaction to the electrodes, glues, plasters and tapes it was decided that I would be prescribed a course of Steroids starting last Saturday to preempt the possibility of this happening again.
To cut a long story short as some of you may know 'if I didn't have bad luck I would have no luck at all' (not original - Albert King - Blues singer "Born under a bad sign")).
Unfortunately I had an allergic reaction to the steroids that were supposed to combat the allergic reaction I might have to the electrodes, I developed Urticaria within 36 hours. I stopped taking the tablets yesterday and contacted the hospital to update them on my situation and was told that they would assess me this morning.
On arriving at the hospital I was very quickly visited by the Consultant Cardiology Anaesthetist who was very concerned about the fact that my body had reacted to the steroid tablets. The doctors then all had a conference and it was decided that my procedure must be cancelled.
I had thought that maybe I would just get more Urticaria and I was prepared to take that risk to get my heart back to NSR, but apparently there was more to it than that.
I understand that the histamines released by my body dilate the blood vessels and in addition any dyes catheters and all things fed into my body during the procedure would have the same effect. Couple this with the fact that the anaesthetic drugs also dilate arteries this could ultimately make my blood pressure go through the floor with a potentially life threatening situation a possibility.
Now I am being referred to a specialist Cardiology Allergy Consultant before they proceed with dealing with my Atrial Tachycardia.
In the short term this delay for me is hard to take as my heart has been racing for about 6 weeks and it certainly impacts on my quality of life, albeit better than PAF in my opinion. To be fair however, my EP did ask the anaesthetist to refer me as a matter urgency as he was anxious to sort my heart out.
On a positive note he said that they had some very sophisticated new mapping equipment that in his opinion would make resolving my current heart rhythm problem once and for all and that he too was disappointed that we could not proceed today.
All I can say however, is once again I take my hat off to the professionalism and skill of the doctors. Sometimes it isn't what they do but it can be what they don't do that makes the difference.
I will keep you informed as things progress.