My husband is 48 years old and his PSA has risen since he first got tested for it about six years ago. He had a biopsy two years ago that was negative. He doesn't have a family history of prostate cancer, but his mother did have breast cancer.
Then, this past January, his PSA rose again (I think from about 2.5 to 4.8) and he did an MRI. Some "intermediate" suspicious areas. The doctor said he could wait and retest in about six months. He repeated PSA a few weeks ago about six months after the MRI. Came back higher (around 5.8). He is scheduled for another biopsy in about 7 weeks. That was first available time. First of all, is that too long to wait?
Then, if, God forbid, he gets a diagnosis of cancer, after a lot of research on the internet, I think he should do proton therapy. I would appreciate any more insight on how to do this. How do we choose a treatment center? Can we just tell them we want this type of treatment or will they evaluate him for all options? He has the flexibility to move somewhere else for 9 weeks, so that is a blessing. Thanks for any help with suggestions on figuring out where to go and first steps after diagnosis. I am still praying that it isn't cancer, but I want to be able to hit the ground running if it is. Also, on that note, how soon after diagnosis is treatment?