Trichomonas vaginalis

New study below [1].

"Trichomonas vaginalis is an anaerobic, flagellated protozoan parasite and the causative agent of trichomoniasis. It is the most common pathogenic protozoan infection of humans in industrialized countries. Infection rates between men and women are similar with women being symptomatic, while infections in men are usually asymptomatic. Transmission usually occurs via direct, skin-to-skin contact with an infected individual, most often through vaginal intercourse. The WHO has estimated that 160 million cases of infection are acquired annually worldwide. The estimates for North America alone are between 5 and 8 million new infections each year, with an estimated rate of asymptomatic cases as high as 50%." [2]

There are 26 PCa hits on PubMed, where papers often open by describing the role of Trichomonas vaginalis (TV or T. vag) as being "controversial.

Unlike other STDs, a man might have no symptoms - providing oportunity for prostate infection.

[3] Studies where Siobhan Sutcliffe was the lead, author or co-author. It's a mixed bag.

[3a] (2006 - U.S. - Health Professionals Follow-up Study)

"Although several previous case-control studies have investigated associations between sexually transmitted infections (STI) and prostate cancer, most have focused on gonorrhea and syphilis, two well-recognized, symptomatic STIs. Another STI of interest for prostate carcinogenesis is trichomonosis, a less well recognized and frequently asymptomatic STI with known prostate involvement."

"Thirteen percent of cases and 9% of controls were seropositive for trichomonosis (adjusted odds ratio, 1.43 ...)"

"Interestingly, this association was strongest among men who rarely used aspirin, and weakest among men who used aspirin regularly over the course of their lives and thus presumably at the time of infection."

[3b] (2009 - U.S. - Prostate Cancer Prevention Trial)

"No association was observed between T. vaginalis serostatus and prostate cancer. 21.5% of cases and 24.8% of controls had low seropositivity, and 15.2% and 15.0% had high seropositivity."

[3c] (2009 - U.S. - Physicians’ Health Study)

"Although not statistically significant, the magnitude of the association between T vaginalis–seropositive status and overall prostate cancer risk (OR = 1.23 ...) was similar to that reported previously {in [3a]}."

"Furthermore, a seropositive status was associated with statistically significantly increased risks of extraprostatic prostate cancer (OR = 2.17 ...) and of cancer that would ultimately progress to bony metastases or prostate cancer–specific death (OR = 2.69 ...)."

[3d] (2013 - U.S. - Health Professionals Follow-up Study again)

"... we investigated effect modification by Toll-like receptor 4 (TLR4) variation on" the "positive association between Trichomonas vaginalis serostatus and risk of prostate cancer"

"Although not statistically significant, TLR4 variation appeared to influence the association between T. vaginalis serostatus and prostate cancer risk consistent with the hypothesis that inflammation plays a role in this association."

[3e] (2016 - U.S.)

"A total of 146 men with advanced (metastatic or fatal) prostate cancer and 181 age-matched controls were selected from two prior population-based, case-control studies."

"The seroprevalence of Tv in controls was 23%. Tv serostatus was not associated with an increased risk of metastatic or fatal prostate cancer (ORs < 1)"

In the new study ("Trichomonas vaginalis: a possible foe to prostate cancer."):

"Prostate cancer (PCA) is the most common malignancy in men in USA, and the role of Trichomonas vaginalis (T. vag) in the development of PCA is still controversial."

"Culture supernatant of T. vag inhibits growth of PC-3 prostate cancer cells ..."

"Culture supernatant of T. vag induced apoptosis of PC-3 cells"

"The growth inhibition effect of culture supernatant of T. vag is also demonstrated in another prostate cancer cell line DU145, suggesting that its effect is not specific to one prostate cancer cell line."

"Culture supernatant of T. vag inhibits growth of prostate cancer by inhibition of proliferation and promotion of apoptosis."

{"supernatant" is a liquid - perhaps obtained via centrifugation}

-Patrick

[1] ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/276...

[2] en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trich...

[3a] cebp.aacrjournals.org/conte...

[3b] ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl...

[3c] ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl...

[3d] ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl...

[3e] ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/268...

11 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I think a couple weeks of Cipro would not out the infection. There are so many ways this disease can be influenced to grow. I believe, if there is a correlation then its due to inflammation.

Rich

• Patrick, I was/am curious to what supplements you rely on in your Pca program, and would compare to mine--to see overlapping agreement, and those that might be being singularly being used that might benefit either of us.

Nalakrats

• Nalakrats,

I have an old list, but, in effect, my series of posts on "Foods/Supplements-Vitamins" will be the new list, when completed. But I must clean up my list at some point.

& I am very interested in how your list differs. Stuff I don't know about, or disregarded for some reason.

& then there is the assessment of each.

Equally of interest to some, perhaps, are the supplements that we both view as having no value. We can't both be wrong - LOL.

-Patrick

• Patrick, I have sat in a room with 14 PHD's whereby they said that what theory presented was wrong---yet 2 months later, they had to apologize--as they were the ones wrong---So it is possible we both can be wrong. Anyway I look forward to your new cleaned up list under Foods/Supplements-Vitamins.

Regards,

Nalakrats

• I've been told to lay off red meat and dairy as these presumably fuel the growth of PCa. Taking eligard, along with omeprazole, which both interfere with calcium absorption. Eligard in particular requires monitoring of bone health and osteoporosis. So how do I ingest enough calcium, other than slamming Tums? Thanks.

Ed

• Ed,

I don't know how Omeprazole (Prilosec), a proton pump inhibitor, affects bone - or rather, how that can be circumvented - but for Eligard (Lupron), I suggest the following.

Have an estradiol [E2] blood test. Ideal range is 20-30 pg/mL. If less than 12 pg/mL, bones are at risk. A low-dose E2 patch can rectify that. But 20 pg/mL is a reasonable target IMO, & E2 should be monitored until you are happy with the dosage.

& vitamin K2 (MK-7) should be used to ensure that calcium transport to bone is optimal.

Bone health requires much more than calcium (magnesium, boron, etc., etc.). Calcium supplements can suppress formation of hormonal vitamin D. I'd keep it low if you are not eating plenty of leafy greens. I,000 mg & up is associated with more aggressive PCa.

-Patrick

• Thanks. I've copied and pasted your reply into a file where I am accumulating the wisdom and suggestions I find on this board. I'll search out that Vitamin K on Vitacost, which has been my go to source for supplements and vitamins.

Ed

• WSOPeddie--Saw Patrick's reply---Let me add my 2 cents. I am not in the Pew of believers about red meat, and certain dairy. The 2 most favorite foods of Pca cells is DHT and sugar. In terms of dairy I do not touch milk or processed cheeses. So if I am having a Caesar Salad, I will grate fresh Romano cheese, or the other day I made a batch of eggplant Parmesan, the eggplant from the garden and whole unadulterated Mozzarella and Parmesan. So what I am saying is everything in moderation. Once or twice a week I will have cottage cheese for the protein in the morning. Maybe red meat twice a week, and maybe one dish a week that has an unadulterated cheese. I avoid as much sugar as possible, and breads that get converted to sugar. Hell's Bells I had a naked jumbo Hebrew National hot dog, with Sauerkraut the other day. So what am I going to do, die one day earlier!

To get serious about your drugs--Your Lupron is taking care of most of the Testosterone so it does not go to DHT. I would add Avodart to keep the T from the adrenals from going to DHT[ask your Doctor], while avoiding sugars, foods with sugars, and breads. I use a Whey protein drink about 5 times a week. 23 grams of protein in one drink, same type protein the body builders use.

As to stomach/acid indigestion, I find a 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder---not baking soda, in 6 ounces of water takes care of indigestion/acid stomach issues.

As to Bone Health, Patrick gave you good advice about the K2. I am 73 and I just had my bone density tested 2 weeks ago and I came out as a 25 year old. I have been using a tried and true formulation for bone health long before I got Prostate Cancer--like 20 years ago. So as to the K2 I suggest you look at taking a super vitamin K complex that has both K1 and K2, et al as we know now that vitamin K2 does transport calcium to the bone. K1 by itself will cause a certain cell death to Pca cells called Ocosis, whereby when a K1 molecule meets a Pca cell the Pca cell splits and spills its nucleus thus dying.

Now the formula for minerals to go with the Vitamin K complex is most effective in a certain ratio which is 1000--500--500--99--50--3. This is a proven ratio, and I do not have Patrick's capability of pulling up every paper written on the subject. So here it is--1000mg of Calcium, 500mg of magnesium, 500mg of Phosphorus, 99mg of Potassium, 50mg of Zinc, and 3 mg of Boron.

All the minerals are in a chelated form---the minerals are molecularly attached to complex amino acids, so the body can readily bio-actively use them. And excess excretion, is easily handled by the kidneys. They are taken after eating and twice a day--usually breakfast and dinner is best. Why twice a day instead of once a day--because we have cancer and are taking drugs that causes depletion to our bone densities.

Now you cannot take Vitamin K complex if you are on blood thinning drugs like Coumadin--if you are, there is a work around. Now where I get my vitamins/brands---is at Vitacost.com. I use the Country Life Brand for the Calcium Magnesium Complex, which also has the Phosphorus, in the ratio above, I also use the Country Life Brand for the others individually. The one hiccup, is the 3mg boron is taken every other day, and only once on that day. There is an issue toxicity if you use the boron more often. I use the K complex Vitacost brand name, also after eating, and only once a day.

Using the above as indicated will increase your bone density--effects can be measured in about 90 days. Hope this helps.

Nalakrats

• Being on a blood thinner for A-Fib, I am glad you mentioned the work around regarding Vitamin K. The only problem I have with Magnesium is 500mg daily, it would be a problem for me, for I have kidney disease. I did find your reply informative. Thank you for your contribution.

Rich

• BigRich---The magnesium as I said in my note---is in the form of an Amino Acid Chelate---which the kidneys should eliminate any excess easily---the whole reason to use the Chelates is to avoid Kidney problems like stones from using the wrong calcium salt.

If interested I can explain the work around--and if you see a Naturopath DO--he/she could in person explain what I am talking about---I am not a Doctor--so you have to dig in and get your facts--I have given some suggestions. Anything else get me back.

Nalakrats

• "If interested I can explain the work around..." I am interested.

BigRichB@aol.com