Hello. My son is 7 years old and was diagnosed with ADHD a year and a half ago. We started off on Concerta and we had seen improvements. Then we tried a higher dosage after it seemed like it wasn't working as well anymore and the teacher's feedback agreed with my observations. The higher dosage worked great for a few months and then everything changed. He no longer followed any routines, homework was not getting done and behavioral issues were increased. We switched to a low dose of Adderall on Tuesday. It is Wednesday and I don't feel like it is working well. He is more impulsive in actions and with the comments that slip out of his mouth. Like Oh look Mom does everything for me in the morning and she gets to run around tired.
My question is how long do you wait until you call the doctor to say the medicine is not working and try a higher dosage? In the past I would wait longer, at least see how he was on the weekend during the day But I am honestly tired as well as concerned. I am not seeing any side effects.
I am seriously thinking about the genetic testing that I saw mentioned on this site but wonder if such tests yield dependable results for African Americans.