anti-depressants do help

when I was well I was so laid back I was coming round the other way! The last thing I thought I'd need were anti-depressants.

My gp told me I wasn't a diabetic.

He then asked if I were would I take Insulin? I said yes.

Well, he said, you are lacking another body chemical, an imbalance; will you take a supplement?

When I agreed he told me it was an anti-depressant because of low seratonin levels.

What a geniious! put that way it made such sense. it still does.

please don't be put off by old beliefs, they can help. it is not weakness,

regards, sandra

3 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I was surprised when my consultant asked me to take antidepresants. I didn't feel miserable! But she persuaded me to at least give them a try and the difference was unbelievable. I felt so well. I know people still think it is something to keep quiet about, but if you are offered them it is well worth a try to see if they work for you. You can always stop them if they don't suit you. I am quite open about it, I call them my 'happy pills'. Glad to hear you feel better Sandra.

• They can help.

I was prescribed Amitriptyline as a means of moderating the pain I was experiencing from my peripheral nerves. On a personal level I did not like the effect they had on me; they certainly take away your lower and darker moods, but in my case at the expense of flattening off the higher brighter moments of life. For this reason i stopped taking them. However, everytime i see my neurologist he asks me if I want to think about it again, as he tells me not to underestimate the effect vasculitis can have on your mental health as well as your physical wellbeing.

• I tried amitrotyline for pain years ago. I had a bad reaction to it and had to stop. I know several people who find it works for them. there are similar ones now.

regards, sandra

You may also like...