Thyroid UK
87,439 members102,134 posts

Cause of suddenly having dry mouth?

Hi everyone,

This website has been a great source of info for me, but I would like to ask a question about a recent issue. A few days ago I switched from taking my levothyroxine in the morning to taking it at bedtime. Coincidentally, when I got a repeat prescription for levothyroxine, I was given a different brand than normal (from Wockhardt to Actavis). I now suddenly experience a dry mouth, at night but during the day as well.

Has anyone had a dry mouth as a side effect to levothyroxine, or as a result from switching brands or changing the time of taking the meds?

11 Replies
oldestnewest

My pharmacist is always changing brands but reassures me it makes no difference at all. My mouth is permanently dry its horrid but have so many conditions I couldnt tell you whether its thyroid or not.

Hi Jennie

I can make a BIG difference to some people! Sometimes people react to the different fillers.

It may not affect you at all however! :-)

Louise

x

I have dry mouth so bad, I am on Synthroid 25 for Hypo. It is so dry my throat burns. Day and Night.

i deveopled a dry mouth but not from levo--- i have dry eyes-- they stream with water---- dry skin like a snake it sheds like asnake too, flaky a perfect snowstorm gets on my wick, legs are dry cracked, feet, i cant seem to keep water in my cells seen a rhemo- an dshe thinks it is all endocrine related. hav ethyroid an dadrenals too.

This is exactly what is happing to me. I have Hypo and take Synthroid 25.

blimey i noticed my post is 5 years ago and nothing has bloody wellimproved, infact i haveless hair thanever and older thanever.

When my Sjogren`s disease started, a long time ago, the first symptom was dry throat, not really sore, like my skin was stuck together. Then my eyes became dry etc etc.

Jackie

Thanks everyone. I was just reading the book Understanding Thyroid Disorders and it stated that different brands might have different tablet strengths, so they recommend staying on the same brand if possible. I did not know that!

Also, I had some of my old brand left, which I took last night, and the dry mouth disappeared. I'll try the new brand tonight and if it returns I guess I'll ask to change back.

What brand gave you dry mouth.

Info here about the different makes:

thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/treatm...

Louise

x

ennogh, Is this in the Uk? I have a really dry mouth at night and I take Thyroxin, 150mcg but got to reduce to 125mcg per day to see if that helps. Im fed up with it, and also seem to have a burning mouth as well.

You may also like...