Thyroid UK
91,876 members106,147 posts

Millet and Fermented soy bad for thyroid

Just found this which I found interesting as I had thought both millet, being gluten free, and fermented soya were okay ... according to this article, which I haven't checked for reliability as I have to leave for work, both are goitrogens. Here's a link to an article:

thehealthyhomeeconomist.com...

I'd be very interested to hear informed comments and yet again this shows just how much Greygoose knows as she told me long ago to avoid soy - thanks again GreyGoose.

2 Replies
oldestnewest

I believe GG thinks fermented soy is OK in small doses so hope she spots this.

Rubbish article. lol

Yes, millet does contain goitrogens, and yes, millet goitrogens are more potent when it's cooked. But...

a) goitrogens do not damage the thyroid. They impede the uptake of iodine by the thyroid. Without iodine, you cannot make thyroid hormone, and therefore become hypo.

b) however, you would have to ingest a hell of a lot of goitrogens for this to happen.

c) plus, as soon as you stopped eating them, the thyroid would start taking up iodine again, and resume normal functions.

d) PLUS this does not apply if you are taking a full replacement dose of thyroid hormones (levo etc.) which I presume you are, because your thyroid does not need to produce hormone and therefore does not need the iodine.

But, all things in moderation. You're not going to live on millet alone, are you? One bowl of millet porridge in the morning is not going to do any harm.

As for soy, that's the first time I've ever heard that. I don't have time to fully investigate it this morning, but I will say that I always suggest that fermented soy is ok in small quantities. One should never make soy the main meal, like people tend to in the west. In the east, it's just a condiment, like mustard. You wouldn't eat a whole plate of mustard, would you? lol But people do tend to eat soy as a substitute for meat, etc. which means eating large quantities, and that is bad, fermented or unfermented. :)

2 likes

You may also like...