How do I know if I have autoimmune hypothyroidism? - Thyroid UK

Thyroid UK
101,248 members115,535 posts

How do I know if I have autoimmune hypothyroidism?

Hi everyone

I have had hypothyroidism for around 25 years (since I was in my late 20s) and have struggled with it during that time. Trying to get the dosage right etc.

I have never been told by my doctor if the hypothyroidism is due to an autoimmune disorder but as I have other autoimmune conditions I suspect it might be.

Is there a test I should ask for to determine this?

Many thanks.

5 Replies
oldestnewest

Yes, you need to ask for your thyroid antibodies to be checked. If your GP won't test for it you can use a home testing kit from Medi-checks or Blue Horizon (if you are in the UK).

1 like

Many thanks. I'm in the UK and will probably end up paying for it but don't mind. Would just rather know.

1 like

Anti-TPO & Anti- Tg are the two tests required to rule out Hashimotos. What other auto-immune issues do you have ? Do you have gut issues ?

Take a look at your post/thread of two years ago on the PA Forum. I explained then about testing for Hashimotos. I also read there that you have gut issues - which is often the root cause of AI conditions.

Low T3 is often linked to Fibro - also adrenals.

1 like

Thanks Marz. I had completely forgotten about that post. Will go back and revisit it and your replies. The good thing is that at that time I did press for further tests and as a result, was diagnosed with PA and now have regular injections. To be honest, I don't feel the benefit of them at all but the whole battle of trying to get the doctor to give me them more regularly is beyond me at the moment!

1 like

If you have neurological symptoms then you should be having jabs more often.

Are you taking Folate/Folic Acid as it works with B12 in the body .....

You may also like...