Am I starting on too high dose of levothyroxine

Hi All

I've finally found a doctor willing to listen. I have blood tests this week for Hashimoto and celiac. In the meantime she is starting me on 50g of Levothyroxine.

Is that too high a dose? Lots of people on this site seem to be starting on 25g. I know I shouldn't sound ungrateful as so many people are fighting with their GPs to get medication. However I am afraid of taking medication and was hoping to find a natural cure. I've now accepted that I have to take tablets for life. I'm just scared and don't want to be on a dose that's too high

As always thanks for your advice

Thanks

Sonia

5 Replies

oldestnewest
  • 1004sonia A starting dose of 50mcg is fine. The 25mcg starting dose is more for children or elderly people, or given by GPs who don't know very much!

• 50mcg starting dose shouldn't be a problem. Retest after 6-8 weeks.

• Hope you will be feeling better very soon! I started on 25mg 6 weeks ago (Hashimoto's) and am considering asking the doc to up it to 50mg. May I ask if you're from around London and if so, who's your doc? Please PM me if you don't mind.

• Statics say typical dose on the long run is 1.6mcg per kilogram of patients weight

• Sonia,

I started on 50mcg for one week then 100mcg for 5 weeks. Not everyone starts on 25mcg :)

You may also like...