Any advice on self medicating with T3

Hello folks,

So, I saw the Endo today and as expected he wouldn't prescribe T3.  He is however referring me to another endo and I asked for a specific Dr who was recommended to me by a forum member, and who will hopefully prescribe T3.

However, that could take up to 3 months and I'm sick of feeling dreadful, so I'm going to start self medicating with T3, and if it works I can tell the new endo that.

So, I have many questions and was hoping some of you lovely people could give me some advice.

I am wondering:

Where to get T3 (please pm me if you have a source)?

What is the smallest tablet you can get of T3?  (Looks to be 25mcg from a Google search but does anyone know if you can get smaller tablets?)

How much T3 is equivelant to T4?

How much  T3 I should take and what I should drop my T4 by? (thinking of T3/T4 combi rather than just T3 at the moment)

How and when to take T3?

Right now I am on 175mcg levo and my test results are as follows:

TSH 0.01 (Range 0.3 - 5), FT4 15.8 (Range 9-21) , TT3 1.6 (0.9-2.5) (Lab won't test for Free T3, I am going to get a private test)

I would be grateful for any advice,

Thank you x

Last edited by

9 Replies

• Conversion charts have a bad reputation for being inaccurate. However, I think of them as being better than nothing, particularly when brain fog is an issue.

Here's one :

I've no doubt there are others around, but I've never compared them to see if they agree with each other. :)

• Thanks humanbean :)

• Sent you private message.

• T3 in 20mcg is only, I believe the UK one. The rest are 25mcg.

25mcg is around 100mcg of levo (some may say 75 to 100 according to how its 'effect' is on their body.

If you want to combine T4/T3, drop 50mcg levo and add 1/2 tablet of T3. If you want to go T3 only I'd stop T4 and take 1 and 1/2 tablet T3. Take your pulse/temp several times a day before you begin so you have a starting point. On T3, if too much, you will get a fast pulse and sometimes temp rises. Usually, if hypo, our temp/pulse is low anyway and sometimes if we feel very hot, temp hasn't raised much.

You could, if you wish, start on 1 1/4 tablet T3 and after two weeks increase by 1/4 onwards until you felt well with relief of symptoms. It is then easier to drop down by 1/4 if you feel overstimulated.

(I am not medically qualified, only have my own experience but am happy on T3 and improved initially withT4/T3) 

Follow the same routine as on levo, i.e. with a glass of water.

• Thanks Shaws, that's great :)

• Kittenmittens,

Ideally you will check FT3 level before adding T3.  Your FT4 is only mid-range so there's no need to reduce it.

5mcg T3 is available but is probably difficult to find without prescription and will be much more expensive than the commonly available 25mcg tablets.   25mcg T3 is equivalent to 75mcg Levothyroxine.  It's usual to start T3 dose low ie 6.25mcg or 12.5mcg when adding it to Levothyroxine.  The tablets can be halved or quartered with a pillcutter.  FT3 level should be checked 6-8 weeks later before increasing further.

T3 is usually split into 2 doses daily.  One of the doses can be taken with your Levothyroxine.

I am not a medical professional and this information is not intended to be a substitute for medical guidance from your own doctor. Please check with your personal physician before applying any of these suggestions.

• Thanks Clutter, that's really informative :)

• Also be aware that t3 doesn't last very long in your system. After 6 or 7 hours I have to take another dose or my pulse rate starts to increase .

• Thanks Dunkenb :)

You may also like...