Ectopic heart beats !

I am in the process of reducing my Levo and slowly replacing with Armour and have recently started getting ectopic heart beats 2/3 times a day, and was wondering if any of you lovely people have experienced the same. I think I first had them 8 years ago when I started to take Levothyroxine. But nothing much since that time. So I'm wondering if it's linked with hormonal changes? Also whether to halt increasing for a while?

Would value your help? Thanks !!!!!!!

7 Replies

• C70rol, How much Levothyroxine were you taking before transitioning, and how much Levothyroxine and Armour are you currently taking?

• Hi Clutter, I am following the programme that you gave a couple of months ago. I was on 62.5mcg levo and started increasing by 1/4 grain increments.

At present I am taking 12.5mcg levo and 1/2 grain Armour, but I'm about to consider going up to 3/4 grain Armour and no levo.

However I think I remember you telling me that 1/2 grain is bio actively equivalent to 50mcg, so with the 12.5mcg of levo that would make me near my start figure of 62.5 Levo am I right?

Would value your comments on this as I am very sensitive on meds and was wondering if I should stay a little longer on the 1/2 grain before trying to move it some more?- thanks!!!

• C70rol, 1/2 grain is bioactively equivalent to 37.5-50mcg Levothyroxine. Perhaps increase by 1/4 grain and see whether the ectopics improve. If they get worse go back to 1/2 + 12.5mcg Levothyroxine.

• Thanks Clutter, I'll give it a go ! I do value yor help!!!!

These ectopic heart beats give you quite a thump when they happen and come as a surprise. And they don't happen at any recognised times, like after meals or after taking morning meds. They can come at any time of the day. Thanks again !

• C70rol, they're a pain, but rarely cause damage. It can be difficult to work out whether they're due to over or under medication. Keeping a diary note when they occur may help you see whether there is any pattern.

• Hi C70rol,

I get ectopics when I'm under medicated. I've had them for 20 years annoyingly but having had them checked out several times, I don't get concerned about them.

They are extremely annoying but benign.

According to my cardio, Ectopics can occur with both under and over medication. Worth keeping a diary to try and figure when they occur. You might just reach a level when they disappear all together. Bliss!

• Thank you joesmum, that's helpful. This has only started happening since doing the changing of thyroid meds. So I'm telling myself that it is probably due to our complicated hormones. I am going to keep a note of when they happen and how frequent. - on a good day I don't seem to have any, but on a hypo day I will have 2/3 very noticeable ones.

Looking forward to the 'Bliss' state !!!

You may also like...