Please help. Ive been to a dr's appointment today due to feeling tired, having dry skin and brittle nails etc. I was under the impression that he would increase my dosage but he has done the opposite. I was on 50mcg of thyroxine and he has given me a prescription for 25mcg. My recent antibodies test has come back highly positive i'm told. He gave me no figures which i asked for. Im just really confused because he told me i'm over medicated. I have asked for other tests and he told me to wait 6 weeks. He also told me that they are no longer going to test my T4 because its "normal". I feel like banging my head against a wall. I don't seem to be getting any luck when it comes to seeing a dr with any empathy. My latest results are:

tsh - 0.07(0.27-4.20)

serum free t4 - 17.5pmol/L (11.0-25.0)

Im really reluctant to take the smaller dose as i don't think id cope caring to care for two children and being even more exhausted. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by

2 Replies

• Danyell, you have a doctor who wants to treat you according to your TSH. 0.07 is below range but you aren't overmedicated because your FT4 is only mid-range. It may be time to find a more thyroid aware doctor.

Read Dr. Toft's comments about dosing and thyroid levels in Treatment Options in the link below. Email if it would be useful to have a full copy of the Pulse article to show your GP.

High positive antibodies means you have autoimmune thyroid disease (Hashimoto's). Many members find a gluten-free diet helps manage flare ups and can reduce antibodies.

• Doctors are apt to believe the TSH dictates whether or not the patient is 'over-medicated'. It's a myth because they don't care if patients are under-dosed as long as TSH is 'in range'. I believe, if they don't take into account the patients symptoms whatever they do isn't right . If you were 'over' you would have feelings of being so, i.e. too fast pulse, too hot etc etc and you'd most probably reduce your meds yourself. Taking too low a dose can bring on more symptoms..

You may also like...