Sorry, me again folks. Am I right in thinking I have to lie with my head tilted back for a thyroid isotope scan? It's really worrying me because when I had the ultrasound done, I couldn't lie down for more than a minute or two, without gagging and feeling that I was going to choke. The ultrasound showed my thyroid was not enlarged but I have multiple nodules on one side of it. What will happen if I physically cannot lie back for this procedure?
I read about Levothyroxine having to be stopped four weeks before this procedure and my doctor only put me on this drug two weeks ago, after my anti-bodies test came back at 380. He has gone on holiday now and never mentioned stopping the Levo. No one could tell me at the surgery, so in desperation, I phoned the endocrinology department at my local hospital. Very lovely, helpful lady there phoned the nuclear imaging people direct to find out. Back came the message that no, I don't need to stop taking the Levo and that I was to be told off for looking things up on the Internet and getting things wrong. Five minutes later, the same lady phoned back with an apology. Nuclear imaging folk had phoned her back to say I WAS right. Levothyroxine to be stopped for three to four weeks before an isotope scan can be done. Well,thank goodness I found out but of course, it means another month delay in finding out what exactly is going on and another month of feeling like I'm choking etc.
I'm a tad worried at WHY I need this second scan. My doctor suspected Hashimoto's, I've nodules already detected from the first scan, my antibodies are raised and I have lots of varying symptoms like hair loss, pain in feet etc. if they are checking the uptake of the radioactive stuff they inject me with, does that mean they are thinking it might be something other than Hashimoto's or might they suspect the nodules are cancerous?
Without being able to speak to the G.P. who has requested this isotope scan, I've no way of knowing.
I plan to ask for a referral to an endocrinologist,once my G.P. gets back in the New Year but having to wait and worry over Christmas is a bit of a blow.
Does anyone have any thoughts about my isotope,please?