Is there a link between Hashimotos and Eczema?

Hi all

I was diagnosed with Hashi's in April 2013 and am now on 125g of levo.

Before I was diagnosed I had horrible eczema and on the inside of my left elbow and my left shoulder. This cleared up completely after I started taking levo.

However, this past week or two the eczema has come back and is now on the inside of both elbows and on my left shoulder.

Is there a link between the two??

I am slightly concerned my dose might need looking at, however my current GP basically refuses to check any TSH/T4 levels until my yearly review ( i thought as a newbie to all this I would need slightly more regular checks?) even though he tested my iron levels in December and will be again at the beginning of March, he will not check the thyroid!

6 Replies

oldestnewest
  • You're right, that is too long. And for goodness sake, it's almost March anyway.

How does your gp know you're on the right dose without testing you? So you could be on the wrong dose and he wouldn't know for a whole year?

I don't know if there is a link between your thyroid and eczema but it would be worth seeing what's going on with your thyroid levels to see where you are, and if your skin clears up with an adjustment to your meds you'd have something to look out for in future.

When I met my husband he had terrible eczema and couldn't sleep through the night due to the itching. It improved a lot with a combination of cutting out dairy and coffee and having massage and acupuncture - an improvement on what his doctor offered him, which was nothing.

Good luck. x

• I had my original test with TSH >100, I then had two further tests until by TSH got down to 0.64 and that was in July but ive had no tests since then!

I have been thinking about getting a food allergy testing thing done, but some of them can be quite expensive! But it might be worth it in the long run!

• Okay, so there was at least a bit of further testing. So does that mean your yearly review is in July? If you're not feeling well I don't understand why they won't do another test now. You could always do a private test. It isn't cheap but costs less than allergy testing.

You could do an elimination diet. It's free (or at least it doesn't cost more than the cost of your food) and could be illuminating. Or just try cutting out dairy. There's a well-known connection between dairy and eczema.

Gluten (wheat in particular) is known to cause inflammation.

You have been very short-sighted in not waiting to feel unwell on schedule! Why didn't you wait for your yearly review to feel ill? :-)

• I did start to try to eliminate gluten last year, however I have a major weakness for cake. Might be worth giving it another go.

I know! How dare I be unwell and require more than one blood test a year!!

• Don't let that stand in your way! My gf cakes are nicer than my ordinary ones. My husband prefers them too and he isn't gf.

• Vitamin D levels ?

You may also like...