Excess acid problems

Does anyone know if there is a connection between Fibro/ thyroid /adrenal problems and digestive upsets particularly with excess acid production which seems to be worse in the afternoon and evening. I eat properly and dont go overboard with empty calories and these attacks come and go when muscle pains etc are at their worst. I really dont want to take omeprazole unless I have to!

5 Replies

• Are you sure it really is 'excess acid' and not too little acid?

There is a connection between hypothyroidism, hiatus hernia and hypochlorhydria, all of which can be confused as symptoms of too much stomach acid. Here's some links for you:

Hypochlorhydria - lack of stomach acid - can cause lots of problems

Hiatus hernia and gastroesophageal reflux disease as a manifestation of a newly revealed hypothyroidism.

• One problem which occurs with hypothyroidism is that the Lower Oesophageal Sphincter allows acid from the stomach to come up into the oesophagus. There is also a common problem with delayed gastric emptying, which makes the 'heartburn' sensation worse.

Taking PPIs can actually make more problems long-term, because it reduces stomach acidity and allows H Pylori to thrive, so you are absolutely right in not wanting to take these meds.

Some people swear by diluted cider vinegar to help - sounds strange but actually it is not too much acid but not enough acid which slows down digestion when you are hypo.

This explains about hypothyroidism and digestive problems.

Optimal treatment for the hypothyroidism can greatly reduce the digestive problems.

Marie XX

• I treated myself for excess acid for years. I discovered after lots of painful experimenting that I actually suffered from too little acid. I now treat myself with Betaine Hydrochloride & Pepsin capsules from GNC (they are readily available online from lots of sources). I still find it hard to get the dosage just right because it varies so much (time of day, size of meal, amount of protein in the meal - all these things are relevant), but when I do succeed I feel better than I did on acid reduction medicines.

• This is another link which gives some hints/advice and also if you take Betaine Hydrochloride tablets.

• Many thanks to you for these suggestions ......just going to look....how do you know if there's a hiatus hernia ......I've done lots of lifting in my life!!

You may also like...