I can't find my trigger food!

I have had ibs on and off for 3 years now. In the beginning it would just be the odd flare up but for the past 9 months I have had a continuous burning pain in my stomach with horrible cramps and bloating at times. It seems to have switched; before I generally felt good but had the odd flare up and now I generally feel bloated and burny with the odd day of feeling ok. My main problem is I can't seem to find my trigger food, I did an elimination diet where I cut everything out for a few weeks , I have cut dairy out as I thought that was the culprit, I don't have caffeine anymore but nothing seems to work. I have also tried an array of medication. Just wondered if anyone had any suggestions of other stuff I could try?

6 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Feel your pain I am the same but think in part is psychological and stress and anxiety related and then being stuck in vicious circle. I do think pre packaged food have alot to do with it. I try to make as much as I can myself.

• Yeah I can see how it could be triggered by anxiety and stuff, I definitely feel in a vicious cycle with it!

• Have a go at removing gluten- and I mean including all the hidden gluten too! Not just the obvious stuff like bread etc- it's in tons of food!! You need to get reading labels - whey powder gluten comes in all guises!! That's the only way you can get them out of your diet!! Good luck x

• There are a number of tests for celiacs? The doc will help with that. Can that cause a flare up in IBS??

• I have the same. Tests haven't shown anything. The healthier I eat the worse I feel including heart palpitations & fatigue so currently looking st salicylates intolerance. Will start FODMAP diet in a few weeks with a dietitian, have you tried that? If all else fails I'll try antibiotics to kill bad bacteria. I hope this helps.

• That's really helpful, thanks! I haven't tried fodmap but noticed a lot of people talking about it on here so may start looking into it, I hope it works for you!

You may also like...