Cigarettes?

Hi - I'm new here. Have had IBS for over 20 years after a very bad parasite infection that went undiagnosed for over 10 years. I have mainly diarrhoea, multiple times a day, but the only way I can usually manage to go to the toilet is to have a few puffs on a cigarette. Does anyone else have this, or (which would be really helpful) did anyone have this problem and manage somehow to overcome it? I do not want to be a smoker for ever!

10 Replies

oldestnewest
  • You have diarrhoea but you need to smoke a cigarette to go to the toilet, that doesn't sound right.

• I think the whole thing about having IBS is that things aren't "right", don't you?

• If you have diarrhoea why do you need help to go to the loo. That's the bit I don't get.

• Smoking is bad for your stomach and everything else, do you think its worth the risk, is there not anything else that might help you out like a cup of black coffee?

• I find coffee makes me go better than cigarettes but I am a regular smoker with IBS, GERD, Hiatal Hernia with Gastroparesis

• some people go within 5 minutes of drinking coffee if they have IBS.

• Ask to be tested for Dysbiosis.

• Hello Ellie,

I found that smoking helped - but I didn't want to become a smoker. This is what I did instead that worked just as well: sickofibs.com/well-being/a-...

Hope this helps you,

Alison

• Guess the smoking helps you to RELAX (having never smoked I cannot be sure!) I am assuming you also have constipation as you say 'can usually manage to go after a few puffs'?

To calm your stomach and feel more relaxed you would do better to take Phenergan, as if you take it at night, before bed, it is a mild sedative (just ONE) and you will sleep very well and feel calmer next day.

It is sold over the counter and is also used for children- it is mainly a travel sickness pill/hayfever pill so cannot harm you (check you do not take any other medication). It has worked WONDERS for me!!! Have not taken Imodium for a number of weeks now!!

• Hi yes I used to smoke; go for a walk instead

All the best

You may also like...