Visceral hypersensitivity from Ibs-c

Hello I am trying to cope with visceral sensitivity from ibs-c .... The pain after I finally move my bowels lasts all day. I have tried stress management counseling, Lexapro, heat, teas and tylenol. I have had a full GI work up. It is very frustrating and debilitating especially since I am a nurse practitioner and should be able to treat myself. Did anyone have anything similar and if so what has helped? Thank you, Elaine

3 Replies

• I too have this pain after I move my bowels. Apart from drinking peppermint tea, I usually have to resort to pain killers in the end, even though I don't like to.

• Hi Elaine

I have heard of great things from trigger point massage. Medications just dull the pain, but don't treat the source of the pain. I saw a lot of good information on Trigger Point Therapist and trigger point massage, aka myofascial release massage is particularly effective with tools such as IC Relief and Therawand. Do try and get to the core of the pain, good luck! If you are in the UK practitioners such as Dr Ruth Jones are brilliant, also look out for a US therapist/Author called Amy Stein. Fortunately NICE have decided that here in the UK painkillers are the not the first line treatment for pelvic pain here in the UK and a patient is referred to a physiotherapist. This is a great start because the painkillers are a vicious circle. Good luck, you'll have lots of trials and errors, but there will be a solution!

Good luck

• Elaine,

Well after c with uc where all stool seems like it's superglued with occasional quantities of mucus, I found that drinking 1 litre/day, silicon rich water, Volvic, got things moving, the first bottle started things moving, giving me a complete evacuation of very soft stool, continue with the water until it seems to run through you, then take silica made from Bamboo gel (200mg), Lambert's/Natures Best. Hopefully it will calm you digestive system so you can absorb the moisture naturally. This never caused me any pain. And there is a little bit f scientific thinking behind this.

Good luck, please notice changes.

You may also like...