21M: Waking up after 5 hours of sleep to pee... - Sleep Matters

Sleep Matters

3,103 members706 posts

21M: Waking up after 5 hours of sleep to pee, and can't fall back asleep

billwright123 profile image

Every day I get only 5 hours of sleep at night. What wakes me up is the need to pee. After that, I feel extremely tired but can't physically go back to sleep. I would end up taking afternoon naps but stopped doing that a few weeks ago, and that didn't cure my problem.

This all started happening one day when I took Benadryl to fall asleep earlier. That day I woke up after 5 hours of sleep and felt the need to urinate. Every day since then I have been waking up to pee and can't fall back asleep after only 5 hours of sleep. (I stopped taking Benadryl 2 months ago.)

I feel extremely fatigued and my brain cannot function during the day. Like I said, I try not to sleep in the afternoon, but the next night I would still end up getting only 5 hrs sleep.

This has been going on for 3 months now and I don't know what to do. Any advice?

Note: I drink coffee daily but have been doing so before this all started, so I don't think caffeine is the issue. I also don't drink much fluids before bedtime.

Could the benadryl have caused a disruption in my sleep-wake cycle?

5 Replies

How long are taking Benadryl.? I know you can not take it for along time

I stopped taking it 2 months ago

For months and months I couldn't work out why I had sleep issues and having an almost normal BMI , Sleep Apnea wasn;t even a consideration, until I mentioned it on this Forum so I pushed for a test and indeed had severe sleep apnea and was put on a Cpap machine and my life changed and have a normal life and even sleep like a baby. If you have been tested for SA then I do hope you find another solution and soon.

This happens to me, too. Has for years, even before prednisone. Usually I take a magnesium capsule, magnesium taurate or magnesium gluconate, 120 mg, and I fall back asleep for a

couple more hours. Have also taken calcium/magnesium which also works for me.

Hi I’ve just seen your post as I’ve just searched Benadryl as having awful problems since stopping Benadryl and can’t sleep for more than 3-/ 4 hours feeling anxious , overthinking, worrying , needing to pee every two hours through the night very agitated but whatever I do I can’t get back to sleep Has your issue changed for the better as I’m worried that this will carry on 😣

You may also like...