My Story

Hi all. Since this is a new community, I would like to get things started by posting a personal testimony. I encourage others to do the same!

It never crossed my mind that I would get a heart attack - I have no history of it in my family and I generally take care of myself. However, one day I experienced pain in my left arm all the way up to my jaw. I honestly did not realise that I had symptoms. Once I also started to feel pain in my chest, my husband rushed me to the hospital where the doctors found a blockage.

It has been a couple of years since that incident, and I have had to make a lot of adjustments. At 60, you really have to be on top of prevention. The hardest part was (and continues to be) managing my blood pressure, since I am a person who stresses over every detail in my life. However, every adjustment is worth the sacrifice.

6 Replies

• Thank you for sharing, nicolezed. I am also having problems adjusting to life after a heart attack. The hardest part has been watching my diet - I did not realise how much salt was in my diet.

• I recently switched my eating habits to a more "heart-healthy" diet after finding out my family's history with heart disease. I recommend They even have recipes for sweets for the days you're really craving it!

• Yum! Thanks for the link, will check it out

• Jellybeans01, isn't it shocking to see what's actually in our meals when we look for it?

• Nicolezed, thanks for your post. I am new to this platform, although I'm eager to explore all the different resources. I, too, am a heart attack survivor but my biggest challenge is smoking. Hoping to use this community and the smoking related ones to quit.

• Welcome! I recently joined also (but I have been reading posts in other communities for a while). Good luck to all!

You may also like...