A 71 year old male, diagnosed with PMR November 2015.
1. Began 20mg Pred. Right shoulder weak.
2. January 5 ~ Jan 30 - 17.5 mg. Pred. Sore shoulders, right arm always weak. After 10am, I could play limited sports and go to fitness center - more aerobic than weights.
3. January 31 ~ March 1 - 15mg Pred. Fingers stiff, neck & shoulders stiff. Cannot lift more than 5 lbs with right arm.
4. March 2 thru April 6 - 12.5 mg Pred. Neck stiff, fingers stiff, right thumb aches. Began to stop upper body exercise but walk & do aerobics.
5. April 7 thru May 10 - 10 mg Pred. Left shoulder/arm began to feel worse than right. Hands began to swell. Continue walking & upper body exercise.
6. May 11 thru today (May 21) - 9mg Pred. Both shoulders ache, weak, hands & fingers ache, left hand swollen. Buttocks & hips beginning to become sore. Can no longer play sports or perform any upper body exercise at fitness center.
7. Called Rhumey - He suggested that I either keep going with the 9mg Pred or increase back to 10mg. Pred. No definitive answer from rhumey !!
Issue/question: If I remain with the 9mg, will I typically see a reduction in swelling, ache, pain over what general period of time? OR increase to 10mg or greater for what period of time before starting back at 9mg? Should I have remained at 10mg for 2 or 3 months before reducing to 9mg Pred?