Its Tray!!!

Helloo! Here is my latest dilemma...a common occurrence it is beginning to seem....... I had to increase back up to start dose of 15mgs , which I have been back on for 10 days after reducing to 14 for 3 weeks and 6 days following a nasty cold and chest which triggered all the pmr symptoms. My gp told me to stay on 15 till the end of this week. The thing is is I still don't feel that great, the chest is very much lingering and I started on doxycycline ( usual antib for C.I.) on Tuesday as was getting worse not better. I now just feel exhausted as well as still having a chesty cough. Also my shoulders ache worse first thing but still nag throughout the day and I have that pain in the groin in the mornings although that does seem to wear off during the day. The question is do I stay on 15 and if so how long for or do I reduce to 14??? I am unsure and confused. I really do value this site and so reassuring especially when my Gp not avaliable.

7 Replies

  • Hiya,

    It's not a good idea to try and reduce your Pred when you are suffering with other problrems, whether it be a cough or cold or just a stressful situation.

    Your immune system is trying to cope with your cough, and if you put more pressure on it by reducing your dose it's like a double whammy! It doesn't like it!

    Suggest you stay on 15mg until your cough has gone, or at the very least you feel better. It may be upsetting because all of us want to get our dosages down as far as we can, but sometimes you just have to listen to your body and be patient. Very difficult I know, but if you read lots of responses from us 'old hands' on this forum you soon realise you cannot rush PMR/GCA - unfortunately it takes as long as it takes! Pity some if the medical experts don't acknowledge that. Hope you soon feel better DL

  • Thank you Dorset Lady. I will take your advice and stay put at mo. The other thing is that come the beginning and middle of April I am booked to go to Jersey for a few nights and then to Iceland..will travelling have an effect on the level of steroids I need??

  • No shouldn't do. So long as you feel okay before you go, just don't try and reduce whilst you're away. I flew to NZ for six weeks over Christmas and New Year, so I put reduction on hold for those weeks. Felt fine. Just take plenty of tablets with you just in case of emergencies. Have a great time. DL

  • So I will probably have to stay on 15mgs then until end of April then??

  • You really have to see how you go. If your cough goes within a week, you could try reducing to 14 mg, but there's not a lot of point in reducing just for the sake of it if you still have pains. If you're still in pain you won't enjoy your holiday anyway, so for the sake of a few weeks does it matter if you're on 15mg rather than 14mgs.

    I know I've said it before, sorry if you've heard it, but my GP says 'listen to your body, it will tell you what it wants". Everybody is different, so you have to work out what's best for you. DL

  • No, don't reduce until you feel well again. And as DL says - don't reduce while on holiday. And ever rush to reduce - 1 or 2 mg is nothing in the great scheme of things if when you reduce too much you end up having to start all over again.

    I have never raised my dose when travelling, especially within Europe with no real time changes. Long haul I take a bit more before the long day travelling across time zones - a proportional dose increase to the length of day. I don't reduce the dose on the short day direction.

    What you do need to do is make sure you have no rushed transfers and, if you do, request assistance. Don't plan to do something you can't get out of the day you travel/arrive and make sure you have rest opportunities.

    That has always worked for me - and I've done Europe to the US, Japan, S Korea and Oz with PMR.

  • Ok. Thank you so much for your support.

You may also like...