New Tests...need help deciphering

Hi everyone,

So after my horrible relapse in June/July i saw my GP and he prescribed B12 every other day. I feel so much better. Unbelievable. Thank God I have a GP that listens to me and not the data from tests results. Anyway, he sent me for transcobalamin B12 binding capacity and methylmalonic acid (blood and urine), and b12/folate serum panel tests.

Can you tell me what these will indicate?

Thanks!

2 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I think basically they will tell your doctor how effective your B12 is at the cell level as opposed to what is "swirling around" in your bloodstream.

I'm not a medically trained person but there are others on here who will be able to give you good advice.

• transcobalamin B12 binding capacity seems to be a measure of how well you manage to bind B12 to the protein that allows it to be absorbed into cells.

MMA is a measure of a nasty that builds up if you don't have enough B12 to recycle it. It can also be raised by other factors - which are more easily picked up by looking at what is going on with chemical levels in urine.

B12/folate serum panel tests is looking just basic measure of how much B12 you have in your blood

You may also like...