It is a long story as to how I am on this dose but it is done within the health system though I have to purchase the B12 via a private prescription as only the cyanocobalamin is available on a normal prescription.
When I went to gather information as to what was available before speaking to my doctor, the pharmacist was obviously low on knowledge as his first remark was that all the three cobalamines that I queried were 'the same'. After spending time looking for a point of purchase for the hydroxo he informed me that yes he had found one but needed a doctors prescription to order it. Told him no problem but to save time when I came back with the order, to please write down the relevant information. I went off to the doctors, gave him my arguments as to why I would like to change from the cyano (once a month) to hydrox (once a week) and we came to an understanding. After 2/3 weekly injections I was glancing through the prospectus and realised that the strength was 10,000 mcg.
My dilema is what to do. I have decided to use up the 10 injections (still have 5 left) then do I go to the doc and casually ask him if there is a lower dosage or just keep taking them. If I use the first option I may lose his trust as I do the research then go back to him. He is a replacement of the original doctor who fitted well into the category that we all know and fight, and I value his open mindedness, interest and trust. I certainly do not want to lose this. I know about the non toxicity and also the potential lowering of potassium.. I take folic acid, iron and copper.
I cannot say the peripheral nerve damaged has improved but it feels different and my walk feels more 'normal' so I am very optimistic and consider the treatment well worth sticking to. I have had no adverse effects - its just the numbers that I am not totally comfortable with.
I appreciate that it is 'opinions' that I am asking for but it seems to me that there are a lot of well read, knowledgeable members out there so I would very much appreciate your time.