How can I get out of the vicious circle of medication that is making my B12 deficiency worse

I was diagnosed with a stomach ulcer caused by the helicobacter pylori infection in 2009 and, after the infection cleared, was prescribed a proton pump inhibitor which I have been taking ever since with increased dosage. In June 2010 I had a heart attack and in September 2010 was diagnosed with B12 deficiency. I have 3 monthly injections which are generally effective until the last couple of weeks. However, I still have awful gastritis - gnawing pain in my stomach and a hard, bloated abdomen. I used to think this was a symptom of B12 deficiency, but have now read that it is more likely to be a cause. Also that PPIs are a contributory factor, but if I try to wean myself off them my stomach symptoms get worse, especially as I am taking aspirin for my heart. All these symptoms/diseases/drugs seem to be connected and I feel that I am in a cycle that is spinning out of control. Anyone else got experience of anything like this?

5 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Are you a member of the PAS? Have a read of AndreaM's story, she was on PPI's for a long time:

pernicious-anaemia-society....

There is also lots of reference elsewhere on the forum about H-Pylori, PPI's etc. Just type them in the search box.

If you are a member you can post your own story, and I'm sure you'll get lots of advice over there. The 2 things that come to my mind are 1) you could have LOW stomach acid rather than high and 2) have you considered Coeliac disease?

Are you under the care of a gastro? Sounds to me like you really need to know what's going on in there.

Hampster

• Hi Hampster

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have been a PAS member for some time so I shall have a look in there. I agree about the low stomach acid. I had a negative coeliac test when I was diagnosed with B12 deficiency. I have been to GP and have an ultrasound scan booked. Have also had another h pylori test. She says I can have a gastroscopy if scan is clear and symptoms persist. I have had 3 in the past and hate them. Makes me gag just thinking about it! Somehow I shall have to bite the bullet.

• I really think you should post your story over there if you haven't already done so? I tested negative for Coeliac as well but decided to go gluten free anyway. I definitely feel better. Really couldn't be bothered to push for more testing when I'd just been through the battle to get my B12 def recognised!

• Have you tried asking for more frequent injections? If not have you considered B12 patches in between?

• Hi Airk

I have just got some sublingual B12 tablets to see me on between injections. Hope this will help.

thanks

You may also like...