Dyskinesia: Lessons from Africa

I have posted this as there are many voices against medication on here but many of us see meds as a life saver despite the problems. It's primary purpose is not to convince those who are convinced meds are bad. It's more to support those who are taking them and to give some reasons why they have made a good decision.

During the past decade, a number of large drug trials suggested that beginning levodopa therapy should be delayed to reduce the risk of motor complications in patients with Parkinson's disease. But is the cause the length of time exposed to levadopa? This research result is interesting.

Over 4 years researwches investigated a large group of patients with Parkinson's disease in a sub-Saharan African country (Ghana), where access to medication is limited and begining levodopa therapy often happens many years after onset. They were investigating whether motor complications (dyskinesia) is primarily related to the length of time on levodopa or to other disease-related factors.

Two groups were compared, one in Italy and one inGhana. Although levodopa was introduced later in Ghana the length of time from having Parkinson disease to motor fluctuations and dyskinesias was similar in the two populations.

The results show that motor fluctuations and dyskinesias are not associated with the length of time on levodopa therapy, but rather with longer disease duration and higher levodopa daily dose. Hence, the practice to withhold levodopa therapy with the objective of delaying the occurrence of motor complications is not justified.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl...

Last edited by

8 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hikoi, The greatest concern is NOT levadopa, but it's most common companion/s which is/are a couple of the most commonly prescribed DOPA decarboxylase inhibitors (DDCIs) Carbidopa/Benserazide (prescribed mainly to counter effects of nausea from...

• My interpretation of: "We conclude that motor fluctuations and dyskinesias are not associated with the duration of levodopa therapy, but rather with longer disease duration and higher levodopa daily dose. Hence, the practice to withhold levodopa...

• Thanks so much for this, Hikoi. This is really important news and will save patients a lot of suffering if it is heeded. I was always suspicious of the levodopa causes intolerance theory. I the dopamine agonist makers had a vested interest in...

• "The previous literature documents this increasing death rate, but no hypothesis has been offered concerning this trend. Carbidopa is postulated to contribute to the increasing Parkinson's disease death rate and to the classification of...

• I totally agree. After I was diagnosed I met a man maybe 38 at least 15 years my junior in lowes hardware. I should say I approached him. He was shaking so badly he could barely hold himself still. I asked him if he had pd. He said yes. I...

• I'm familiar with the data. However, each of us is different. My understanding is that medications for PD are used to alleviate specific symptoms, not for addressing addressing a specific cure for which there is no medication yet. If the...

• Thank you for posting this. When I think of the shape I was in before starting Carbidopa levodopa the change is quite dramatic. My Parkinson's manifested with gait and balance problems and lots of pain. I could not walk any distance without great...

• My neurologist has recently told me that a study done 18 months ago indicated that the synapses die if they do not receive enough dopamine. He wants me to take sinamet so my synapses are 'bathed in dopamine'.

I will ask him for a reference to the study next time we meet.

This fits with why smokers have such a lower rate of PD.

I did take it for a few days and it was wonderful, but I have stopped while I follow up my integrative GP's findings that my copper level is 150 times higher than it should be. Here's hoping that's the answer to all my neurological problems!

You may also like...