Log in
Pain Concern
24,038 members8,119 posts


10 Years ago as a sunday league football ref I suffered a back injury;; I was given by the hospital Co-codamal;; they did nothing to help my pain,, though i still persevered taking them until 30 mth ago when i applied for D.L.A, Which was eventually approved, because of my inability to walk any reasonable distance,without my breaking down in tears, The dwp doctor came to my home for a assessment,, I AM TO APPLY AGAIN FOR DLA, Please help with advice as need more prescription free strong pain killers

4 Replies

Not sure what help you are looking for? I would struggle to advise about prescription free pain killers. There are many different types of pain killer available from GP. Suggest you go back to GP and explain co-codomol not effective for you.

In relation to DLA - am assuming you have been asked to apply for PIP which is the replacement for DLA. STRONGLY advise you to get help completing the form. I had helped from CAB. Their info on internet was also very helpful about how to complete form.

Another group called Benefits and Work give good advice but you have to pay to join them to get the advice. Not a fortune around £20 but still significant when you are not earning.

Be aware a lot of people don't get PIP initially but have to appeal. Also things that were considered for DLA are not considered for PIP.

Is still worth applying and hope you get some answers soon.

1 like

If co-codamol is inadequate, then no over-the-counter medication will work. Go to see your GP, and ask them to examine your medication. Perhaps they can also refer you to see a pain specialist, or another doctor who can re-examine your injury.

I also would recommend that you get help with your forms, and I found Benefits and Work a godsend too. Do not worry too much if your claim is initially rejected. I believe that up to 60% of rejected claims are finally accepted after all the hoops have been jumped through. If you can do something OCCASIONALLY, tell the people what your NORMAL ability is, and then tell them that you can do it one day in 10, or once a month, or whichever frequency is normal. If you tell them that you can do it Occasionally, but the normal case is... they seem to overlook the second part of your statement!!

To sum up, See your GP, and get referrals, if necessary, get help with your forms, and watch how you word your claim! I hope that this helps, chronic pain is an awful thing to experience, and I hope that there is something that your doctors can do to help.

1 like

You may be a person Co-codamal does not work on.

What do you want? To be able to walk or to be able to get PIP movement award? The two do not co-exist together.

I have seen the program about "BBC.The.Doctor.Who.Gave.Up.Drugs". The program showed a women who appeared to be in the same place as your are. The doctor took the women to a kung fu expert. The kung fu expert did one to one tuition and got the women to be able to move again.

There is new research which is indicating that there is another part of the body which needs looking at and that is the fascia. It appears that this is highly involved in a lot of pain issues.

Google: "Muscle trains" and "fascia".

it is worth seeing a McTimony chiropractor. Read the NICE recommendations on chiropractic and take them to your GP. I have had McTimony chiropractic on the NHS since 1994.

The other practitioner worth seeing is an Alexander Teacher. They can help with posture and muscle control issues.

You need ti find the local voluntary agency which specialises in benefits. PIP has legal definitions. You will need help to understand the legal definitions.

I have got a PIP award. I use the award to pay for medical treatment. The treatment helps me keep moving and helps reduce the amount of pain that I would otherwise have.

Hope this helps.


Co-codamol is mainly Paracetamol with 8mg per tablet of Codeine; the next up in the hierarchy is probably Solpadol which has more codeine in it of 30mg/tablet. After that I was put on to Tramadol.

So there is an escalation possible, but with side effects which your GP will be aware thereof. Possibly get a referral to your local hospital's "Pain Clinic" whose specialists you really need to see. Self medication has its dangers. The more effective painkillers are all prescription only in the UK, and tend to be opiates with side effects.

1 like

You may also like...