Fallen arches/flat feet, is this common with RA? (lots more questions!)

It seems to have only happened in the last couples of days but I can really notice the difference.

Does anyone know, should I go see about it? who should I go to? is this permanent or can it improve? what insoles should I be looking for?

I have only started the meds (comb therapy) 3 months ago but my bloods are showing no signs of them working yet; my consultant suggested we mat start a biologic, do you think he'll wait much longer?

Also,(sorry) all this muscle wastage, can that improve? has anyone tried the tai chi for arthritis?

Last question, I was diagnosed in Jan this year during my first flare, early signs of 'flitting pain' for a year previously, This was picked up early wasn't it?

Thanks for any answers! :)

10 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi Williby

I have fallen arches and both my little toes have started to wander in the last few months, along with a couple of the others. I am awaiting appointment to see the Podiatrist. (might get it this year!) I had some insole made a couple of years back which need renewing. I also bought some and it certainly makes a difference to the pain in your feet. Ask to be referred sooner rather than later.

I had plantar faciitis which is inflammation of the tendons that run across your arches and I presumed the arches fell at that time (started about 15 years ago) I made it worse when I went from just doing gym work to what you could term fell running, where you run down across hilly and roughy old ground. I can hardly walk across it now let lone run!

I have been thinking of doing tai chi, when I get a bit more weight off as I have problems with balance at the moment, but I have been told it can help all that, posture, balance etc so if you have the chance to try, do so.

Your last question I am not so sure about but i am sure someone will. I used to have all sorts of pain in different joints particular the feet and for some reason always put it down to the planter faciitis, but I think looking at the damage in my toes (which have become more noticeable now the swelling has gone down since I started MX in december) it was probably RA all along? What exactly is picking it up early?

Take care

Julie x

• Sorry Julie, picking it up early, I meant the diagnoses of RA, in my head I make total sense!

Think I'll give the Tia Chi a go.

xx

• Ah I see....sorry its probably me too! good luck let us know how you get on with the old TaiChi. x

• Hi Wiliby, fallen arches can be a problem with RA, my feet have been the worst affected but with the help of a good foot and ankle surgeon and a good Podiatrist things are much better.

Ask to be referred to a Podiatrist most RA departments have a Podiatrist who just deals with RA patients, well mine does anyway they will help with all your feet problems and will provide insoles if needed.

Seems a little early to try biologics to me but I'm no expert and I'm sure your consultant knows what's best for you, just don't rush in discuss other avenues first I would.

I have thought about tai chi also, some people say it's a good thing I would like to know more about it.

Good luck

mand xx

• Hi Wiliby, I too have the dreaded feet problem, and the arch fell quite quickly. I too was getting aches & pains moving around for a while then diagnosed by a locum (my GP thought it was stress) Anyhow, I was quickly put on plaquinil first, shortly followed by methotrexate, and then a few months later offered anti tnf to be quite honest I would have taken arsenic if I thought would help me get my life back. I can't understand why people are reluctant to use biologics? Anyway, as girls have said podiatrist will help (bye bye Flatties Hello ecco):)! Have faith in your Consultant. Change podiatrist if not happy with first one. x

• How did they put it to me?! You have collapsed transverse arches (had to look it up on the internet!). Because I was in so much pain, I walked on the sides on my feet for such a long time (about 12 months). Podiatry, I'm afraid! And chiropody for those inevitable calluses (I have mine done every 3 months). God! I sound gorgeous, don't I? I asked podiatrist & chiropodist about foot massage, as I thought my husband rubbing my feet could have been doing some harm. Unlucky for him, they said it makes no difference. I bought fantastic sandals from Wynsors - Spirit Earth they're called, and I've never had anything better on my feet. I used to feel upset in shoe shops looking at beautiful heels I could no longer wear; now I think, "they look comfy!"

• Andrea, I totally agree and will be checking out Wynsors , I have a closet of shoes all expensive and mostly unwearable. I look at my daughters little gladiators and flatties and feel so envious, I have to put my orthotics in my slippers to cross the room! Do Debenhams sell Wynsors or where do? Lucky you having a foot rubbing man! My hubs is freaked by feet (weirdo)! Must do a question on shoes get some ideas??

• Thankyou so much for all replies and advice, Already checked out spirit earth (thanks Andrea)

I've dug out my asics, feeling better with them already.

Gina, I know what you mean feeling envious, I was watching 'the Wedding' in our local pub, well not really I spent most of the time looking at everyones lovely shoes!!

x

• This made me smile. bugger the dresses wot bout those shoes!!! :-)

• I've always been flat footed but was only diagnosed a couple of years ago - maybe a link but who can say!?

You may also like...