NRAS
21,811 members25,433 posts

Pain in hip

For the last 3-4 weeks I have had really bad pain in the top of my leg at the back. I am finding it very difficult to walk and climb stairs. I can’t lead upstairs with that leg as it feels like bone grinding on bone. Sitting is very uncomfortable and gets worse as the day goes on. I’m having to go to bed by 8pm as I can no longer stand the pain. No analgesia seems to help it. The main reason for this post is to try and find out if it is RD or OA or a combination of both. It has got to the point I really can’t go on with this pain any longer. I have rheumy on Tuesday but would like to go prepared. So any input would be good.

Hope you all have a wonderful new year.

8 Replies
oldestnewest

I had this at the start of RD. I was given a steroid jab which helped enormously. I take hydroxychoroquine which works for me. Once the major pain had eased I found daily exercise helped. Yes they're still sore & sometimes I have trouble sleeping but much much better than what they were 5 years ago. RD or OA, I've no idea.

1 like

Hi Ty for your reply. I am currently on hydroxychloroquinine and Benepali injections. I take 11mgs prednisalone for PMR but have to admit pains In my hands and hip have been bad since I had a cold followed by antibiotics for a sinus infection. Just haven’t felt right since then and that was in the middle of November. Only have just under 2 days to wait, I have waited this long so am sure I will manage to survive 😀

1 like

Hi just tell them on tuesday you cannot take any more .i would be surprised if they did not keep you in or do lots xrays etc there and then .good luck

1 like

Ty. I will x

1 like

Generally RD is worse in the morning and improves during the day, and OA is the opposite so it gets worse throughout the day. And the back of your leg is not a top spot for RD. But these are all generalities as we're each a bit different... hope you can find a comfortable spot to see in the new year....

1 like

Yes that’s what I thought tbh. Found my comfy spot in bed lol. Have a good new year 🎉

1 like

Some times u get pain in hip from ur back it is called referred pain .I had pain in hip rheaumtoglist thought it was referred pain till he done x-ray turned out it was oa.need hip replaced trying to put it of as long as possible.my ESR.was 115 was kept in hosp for 2 weeks bed rest and 500ml steroid drip then on prednisone tbs for 1month settled for a while now pain started again I have review next month .Hope u get sorted make the most of ur appointment tell him everything amy

Ty I will tell her exactly how I have been the last couple of months. As I have already had both knees replaced my worry is that OA is now in my hip as well.

I hope all goes as you would wish at your review. Good luck

You may also like...