You never know about all the hidden dangers

For the past couple of weeks I thought I could smell petrol when my car was running, the OH was convinced I was imagining things until the other day when I was waiting for him to get in the car, with the engine idling, and it stank - he noticed it then! I took the car to the garage today to find out I had a split fuel pipe which meant petrol was peeing out:eek:

I realised how incredibly lucky I was that this has happened now and not 12 months ago

1. My improved sense of smell meant I could smell it

2. I didn't have to try and budget to afford the repair

3. I always used to smoke on my way to work, imagine if I'd have lit up with a car full of fumes:(

This is one of those little "surprise" moments I cherish, they pop up every now and again and I grab them as a reminder of what life used to be like, it is so easy to forget how poor my sense of smell used to be, how I used to only book my car in for mot/service etc at pay day and how little I cared about my personal safety when I "needed" a smoke :o

3 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I think even smokers smell petrol ;)

I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure a cigarette can't ignite when there's just fumes.

Glad it's being fixed :)

My OH smokes and only noticed the smell weeks after I'd mentioned it, so yes smokers can smell petrol - as I was only getting a whiff when at traffic lights I wasn't 100% sure whether it was my car or general traffic stink - also I think that petrol fumes are actually highly volatile, so if I had created a spark there is every possibility there could have been a fire, but don't worry, if it does happen again I'll give you a shout so you can p*** on my bonfire straight away :D

• Have I done something to annoy your little group :confused:

You are all making a point of making me feel very unwelcome.

What group? and how on earth have you been made to feel unwelcome? This is a public forum, and, as you are so keen to post your opinion so is everyone else - I really don't give a monkey's if you feel the need to log in and post the occasional derisive comment, however, when you try to claim the cerebral high ground without knowing the semantics about a subject I have posted, I will respond. You are very quick to post negative comments on any other members' thread yet get very defensive if anyone dares to negate your opinion, there is a quote I am particularly fond of and I apply to most situations as a whole - Those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.;)

• For the past couple of weeks I thought I could smell petrol when my car was running, the OH was convinced I was imagining things until the other day when I was waiting for him to get in the car, with the engine idling, and it stank - he noticed it then! I took the car to the garage today to find out I had a split fuel pipe which meant petrol was peeing out:eek:

I realised how incredibly lucky I was that this has happened now and not 12 months ago

1. My improved sense of smell meant I could smell it

2. I didn't have to try and budget to afford the repair

3. I always used to smoke on my way to work, imagine if I'd have lit up with a car full of fumes:(

This is one of those little "surprise" moments I cherish, they pop up every now and again and I grab them as a reminder of what life used to be like, it is so easy to forget how poor my sense of smell used to be, how I used to only book my car in for mot/service etc at pay day and how little I cared about my personal safety when I "needed" a smoke :o

And just think, all the money you have saved from stinky fags will pay your " most probably ASTRONOMICAL" garage bill ;) ;) glad it's getting sorted love xx

You may also like...