Pseudo Quitters

So over the past few weeks I have been running in to people that will tell me that they have quit smoking, but in fact I know that they have been smoking. How much? I don't know, but definitely occasionally. On the outside I say things like "Oh thats good, you're doing great" and "it really is much better being a non-smoker" or "quitting smoking is a long and hard process, that's different for everyone", but on the inside I just want to correct the **** out of them, and tell them it doesn't count. I feel like I only told people I quit when I wasn't smoking, then shamefully told them I was back to smoking when I was smoking. But maybe not, maybe I was one of these people that was only fooling myself on previous quits. I really am very tolerant of smokers, and if people want to smoke, do it. I don't care. I don't want to preach to people, but pseudo quitters just rub me the wrong way.

Anyone else have these sort of experiences?

6 Replies

oldestnewest
  • At the end of the day, the only people they're kidding is themselves.

They know they smoke, however little it may be, so they can't feel good about saying they're quit.

• I think we all meet them. If someone isn't affecting my own personal quit I don't care how they word their smoking/non smoking life.

Ex smokers get way too hung up on these things. More so than non smokers do in my personal opinion.

Edited to add :

You wrote this last year. LOL - someone probably called you a pseudo quitter too - I can't breathe for laughing now ;)

Ok, I have been grappling with this one for a while and think I should put it to question.

I smoked two cigs last Friday, should I go back to day 6?

Lol, well I guess that answers that question. I wouldn't say I'm hung up on it, it really is more for entertainment purposes.

• True true.

We've all lied to ourself though. I lied to myself for 20 years about loving my smoking... Smokers lie about their smoking generally, especially to them-self.

To admit to ourself how out of control our habit is, we only do that once we quit.

Plus I genuinely think some people honestly do not count a smoke with a drink on a Saturday night, cause the feel in control. Each to their own providing they don't expect me to lie for them.

Paul

• True true.

We've all lied to ourself though. I lied to myself for 20 years about loving my smoking... Smokers lie about their smoking generally, especially to them-self.

To admit to ourself how out of control our habit is, we only do that once we quit.

Plus I genuinely think some people honestly do not count a smoke with a drink on a Saturday night, cause the feel in control. Each to their own providing they don't expect me to lie for them.

Paul

It's all proof that denial isn't just a river in Egypt.

Amazing how we can convince ourselves of something that deep down we know to be total BS isn't it?

• It's all proof that denial isn't just a river in Egypt.

Wow that amazon!!!! I didn't know that. LOL :D

• Wow that amazon!!!! I didn't know that. LOL :D

I see what you did there :p

You may also like...