No Smoking Day
2,631 members31,355 posts

Should I quit smoking?

That is a question I asked myself for many years.

And then in August 2009 I decided enough was enough. I want control back, I have to prove I can do without the smokes. I smoked 20 a day, B&H Gold, for 25 years.

I used patches (strongest ones) and also lozenges for when I was feeling bad.

I am still strong, I haven't had a single ciggie since August 2009. I have had some really tough days, and have had to keep myself motivated by focussing on why I wanted to quit. I have felt high and then low, I have felt happy and depressed. It is tough mentally as well as physically.

What I am trying to say is, it CAN be done. And I feel great. I actually started running and do about 15k a week. I used to see the "nutters" running past my house in the mornings whilst I was standing out the side door having a quick fag before getting ready for work. And now I am one of them!

It is great to be a NUTTER!

3 Replies
oldestnewest

Hi,

Thank you for a very funny post! I have been having a tough day(only day8), but your story has put it all into clearer perspective for me. Congratulations on making it into year number 2!

how wonderful! It is lovely to see that it can be done...

15k is very impressive too! I still see runners as nutters :P but that's only because I find running quite boring... maybe its not boredom at all tho and lack of fitness which I don't realise!... and someday I'll be going round running past people's houses making them think 'what a nutter'.

I go to the gym 4 times a week now tho :) can really feel the lungs clear up! recommend something like this.

These sorts of posts are really motivated (I think) for people like me who has failed so many times and is in the early stages of a quit - it shows it can be done... The fitness thing hasn't hit me yet...I wish it would but at the moment by cross training is excellent for hanging clothes on :D

WELL DONE YOU

:)

You may also like...