Good morning everyone. My doctor wanted me to start on Pegasys because he considered me high risk. My platelets are in the 800s and I have an unknown MPL mutation. I hear this isn’t as common. I’m considered high risk because I had a stroke in January, but this was a provoked event At the time I didn’t know I had ET. My neurologist said that the ET May have made me more prone to getting the clot after the tear in my vertebral artery that resulted from the trauma I had (snowboarding fall) Had I not had the stroke, my MPN doctor would simply put me on aspirin (which I’ve been taking since the stroke). My neurologist and MPN doctor did consult with one another so they are aware.
I’ve been torn about taking medication. Initially I thought I would be prescribed with HU but because of my age (39) he said I was young and would start me off with Pegasys. I was very thankful.
....but After much torment, I’ve decided to hold off on treatment. I just felt like I wouldn’t be out on medication if it weren’t for this provoked stroke.
I know that many you may think it’s a stupid decision but was curious to know what some of you would have done if you were in my situation.
Thanks in advance.