MPN Voice
4,105 members5,728 posts

Essential Thrombocythaemia

I have had ET for 12 years + and am currently on a fairly high dose of Hydrea. I live in Australia but each year travel to the UK for several months. After having stable platelets for several months prior to my flight, I find they shoot up quite considerably when I have my blood tested in the UK. I wonder if it is the long flight or the fact for the past two years, I have had a flu vaccination approx 2 weeks before I left Australia. Could it be the stress involved in flying or just a reaction to the vaccine? Anyone any ideas please?

9 Replies
oldestnewest

Hi there, I don't think it has anything to do with either.I have travelled a lot by air, car and boat.....I have had the flu jab for the last 15 years or so, but never had that reaction. I might be wrong, so ask the doc!

Thanks Swede. I just think it is very strange that my platelets are stable for so long but for the last two years, after I have flown back to the UK they have shot up considerably.

That is what UK does to you😉

1 like

I will ask the medical team for advice. Maz

1 like

Thank you. I would very much appreciate that.

Hi, the advice from the team is: Could be flight, could be different analysers, different diet etc, is it different the day after they arrive or after many weeks?

Muffteacs,how many hxdrea do u currently take? Bws tico.

I take 1500mgs for 5 days and 2000mgs for the other two. Quite a high dose and it has only been increased again recently by the extra two capsules.

I would be very interested to hear from anyone who is taking such a high dose of HU. Mouth ulcers are my main problem

You may also like...