National Migraine Centre
6,496 members1,819 posts

scared but in pain

I am scheduled to have a GON and I am afraid- any one have any advice? thanks

15 Replies
oldestnewest

I’ve had a few done, it’s over quite quickly and it’s just a sharp scratch. You can ask your doctor for a diazapam if your really anxious about it. If you can practice mindfulness that helps and just focus on your breath, try not to get caught up in negative thoughts once it’s over you will wonder what you was worried about.

Good luck I hope it works for you

1 like

Thank you

I had mine done over a month ago - it's really not that painful, as scottlondon said it's just a sharp scratch. I found on both injection sites I had hard lumps - they started off the size of a creme egg and gradually went down to malteaser size, then the size of a poppet (I promise I'm not a chocoholic!)

The only thing I wish they'd told me was that I found it quite sore to lie on the injection sites for several weeks - it feels very similar to when you poke a nasty bruise.

Unfortunately I didn't find it work for me and my migraine has stayed as bad but I hope it does for you. I certainly don't regret having it done!

1 like

Thank you and I hope you feel better soon

1 like

Not to sound naive but what is a GON? Maybe it has a different name in other countries? Or possibly not available?

1 like

You're not alone. I don't know what a GON is either. I may have had one called by another name???

1 like

It is a Greater Occipital Nerve block

I never heard of it either before dr order it that is why I am scared

If a GON doesn’t work you can try Botox

1 like

Did Botox work for you?

No

Sorry to hear that.

I believe I'm extra sensitive to pain but I hardly felt the GON and I've had it more than once. Don't be scared!!

Greater occipital nerve block

Thanks for clarifying. Can someone tell me what the procedure is please?

You may also like...