Pain after occipital nerve block- anyone else?!

Hi there,

So I had an occipital nerve block on both sides of my head on Monday and was told there would be some short term pain in the areas due to the aggravation of the nerve. It's now Thursday and for the last three days the back of my head, neck and shoulders have been incredibly tight and achey and I've had to be very careful with my movements to prevent sharp pains in the back of my head/neck.

The doctors seems to think this is standard and I just need to take it easy but I wasn't made aware of this at the hospital when I had the injections. It does appear to be easing slowly but still very uncomfortable and I have had to take time off work as I cannot sit upright at my desk.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Thanks in advance!

11 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hello 😀 I had nothing at all when i had both sides done but I'm starting to think I'm not the norm😐 my sister in law got them 4wks ago and was wiped out with pain in her eyes/head/ back of her head/ neck and shoulders. It lasted 2 1/2 weeks.

She doesn't think its helped her severity or fequency at all and she injects sumatriptan to get relief.

Hope you get some relief 😀 you learn fast how differently we all react to different procedures. Good luck

• How often does your sister have to inject Sumatriptan?

Many thanks.

• Well...she definitely uses it too much but there's nothing more she can do. She uses it on the onset of a migraine which is every day, I'm sure she will be having rebound headaches and she knows this but she sees no choice. She's exausted everything.

I on the other hand inject sumatriptan as soon as i have aura and one injection usually wipes it out.

😆

• Thank you for your reply. I am in the same boat with Naratriptan-- daily usage keeps me relatively migraine free for 10+ years now with occasional breakthrough headaches that don't respond to meds. I live in San Francisco, not the UK, and had to recently change my insurance plan and the new medical insurance is refusing to cover more than 18 Naratripan a month. Healthcare here is deplorable.

Yes, I could I he T Sumatriptan at the onset, but that would also be daily so I use the tablets of which I take one each night as preventative. It's hard to know what's best.

Take care and send warm healing wishes to your sister.

• Edit note--

"... could inject Sumatriptan at the onset..."

• It's just aweful 😭 takes over life as you know it !!!

I wish you well and hope you find a way to control them better 😆

Take care .

• When I had mine done I had some swelling which went in a couple of days.

• Hi there. Yes i had pain and soreness at the injection sights too but it does ease.... hope you get some relief.

• Yes I've had 3 lots of dual trigger point injections and was very stiff for days. I also had a numb head for 24 hrs each time but sadly had no relief on any of the 3 tries. Good luck

• I had it done and the ache went by the next day. Maybe you were unlucky. Maybe it's down to the person doing the injections. I had mine done at the migraine clinic in London. Would like to get it done again but it's so expensive I can't afford it. Hope the pain has gone away now.

• Didnt work for me ,just a waste of time

You may also like...